My chicken was attacked by a hawk. What should I do?

Rachel1231

Hatching
Jun 10, 2019
Today, my big foghorn Leghorn (we call him big chicken) was attacked by a hawk. It was the worst thing to hear. He is still alive, but he's got a big hole in his thigh. What should I do so he has the best chance to survive? TIA

Attachments

• 20190610_153227.jpg
    20190610_153227.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 15
First you'll want to clean it really well with betadine. You can dab some triple antibiotic cream around the wound but make sure it is the original formula with NO pain reliever (that particular ingredient is toxic). Vetricyn makes a great wound spray that I'd spring for as well as getting him on a vitamin supplement like nutridrench to help promote healing!

You'll want to keep a close eye on it for necrosis and infection. At the first sign of either I'd consider seeing a vet if that's an option but if not I'd probably try oral or injectable antibiotics from the farm and feed store.

Keeping it as clean and dry as possible is the priority, if he's struggling to walk maybe put him in a dog crate or secluded area in the run for a day or so to rest. I'm not sure about wrapping it; it would help keep it dry and clean but I worry if he fusses with the bandage it will just end up dirtier and more irritated than if just cleaned and left alone.

I'm so sorry! Hang in there! :hugs

ETA- He'll need to be kept away from others for a bit so they don't peck at the blood/wound. I'd give him a tepid bath to get as much blood off as possible!

Back
Top Bottom