my chicken was attacked by a possum, how do I treat her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gstone, Aug 11, 2010.

1. gstone

gstone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    South Portland
    My hens were just attacked by a possum! I'm so mad at my self for not making them more safe!!! On died - the polish hen... poor thing didn't stand a chance, she can't see a thing! One of the other birds got her tail end attacked pretty good. Her tail feathers are missing some blood (not much at all), damaged feathers on her wing, and she's not walking too good. She's able to flutter a way from me in little hops. Poor thing. What do you suggest I do for her. I'll get a good look at her in the morning. Wash her up with anti-bacterial soap I guess. I don't want to spend a lot of money (please don't think ill of me [​IMG] ) I'm very rattled, but trying to be level headed at the same time.... I secured the coop up well just now.... It will take me some doing to get in there in the morning.... advice please.

2. mitchell3006

mitchell3006 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    The biggest thing is to clean the wound and prevent infection. There is a product called blue kote that will help prevent infection and seems to keep other birds from getting cannabalistic at the wound sight. Depending on the severity you may need to place a lamp to keep the bird from getting "shocky". Chickens will get overly stressed and just quit on you. Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey in drinking water seem to boost them some. I don't believe ACV is magic but it does seem to help some. Good Luck

Mark

3. gstone

Apr 26, 2010
    South Portland
    Thanks for the advice Mark. How should I mix the honey/ACV/water solution? I just boiled 2 cups water and poured in some (amount?) honey, I guess I'll put a half cup of this solution and a 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar together in her waterer. We'll see how that does. [​IMG] I found this wound wash saline solution at the grocery store that sprays out in a nice low pressure stream to clean her with. I also made an 'iodine tea' and poured that all over her wounds. She as some pep in her step, she tries to move away from me, and gave both her wings a good flap when I was done treating her. I have her in a cat carrier right now, I'll put the waterer with said solution in with her. She seems content to sit and sleep. I will take any more advice people have. Thanks. [​IMG]

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    First of all, no one is going to think ill of you for not wanting to spend a fortune healing your chicken. A lot of us just don't have that capability.

I'd keep her separated as you do to keep the others from pecking, and to keep her relaxed. Lots of people keep them confined in their houses so they can keep a watchful eye. Keep cleaning the wounds and treat them with an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin or Blue Kote. Make sure she's eating, drinking, and pooping normally. Healthful treats are good to pamper!

Glad to hear you're beefing up security in the coop.

Good luck, and keep us posted! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  5. gstone

Apr 26, 2010
    South Portland
    she has been sleeping most of the day. I've changed her water to just the honey water. Vinegar didn't seem very hospitable. I haven't seen her eat, drink or void. Just sleep, breath, and blink. I'll take her out soon to apply antibiotic ointment. I've been reading a lot of info on here about wound care, and feel good that her wounds are very treatable. I hope she makes a full recovery. Thanks to everyone for advice! [​IMG]

6. gstone

Apr 26, 2010
    South Portland
    well, I just took her out and put antibiotic ointment all over her wounds - which consist of her whole tail/ back, and under her left wing. Her tail and under wing look plucked, and there is a real 'wound' on her back.... it all looks raw and painful. I folded the corner of the towel up over her head to keep her still. But when I was done, I removed the towel and she remained still.... sleeping. She has not eaten or drank or voided in almost 24 hours (at all since the attack) that I can tell. Is she done for? Only time will tell I suppose. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. gstone

Apr 26, 2010
    South Portland
    aaannnd, she's gone.... [​IMG] very sad. But I have 4 other health girls to look after. And with 2 having just died, maybe we'll look for 2 more this fall at the fairs. Always looking to the bright side. At least Jasmine and Grace are together. [​IMG]

Thanks to every one who offered advice and kind words. [​IMG]

8. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    How sad. You did all you could for her. I'm sorry for your loss.

9. ChurkLover

ChurkLover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    St. Louis
    I am soooo sorry for you losing her. I understand your feelings as one of my turkey hens was attacked by a possum when she was only four months old. She had her wing ripped off and it was raw. We didn't think she would make it but she did. I was like you, reaching for answers from anyone/everyone I could without having to take her to a vet. I never did get answers other than keep her secluded and clean. Which I did.

By the way, I read that you should NEVER use neosporin or any kind of ointment like that (other than vet issued) for an injured bird. If I remember, it said something about everything sticking to it and making infection actually more of a possibility (I think). For my turkey, I filled an empty water bottle 1/2 water and 1/2 peroxide (3%) and poored it over her injured wing a couple times a day. In case any of your other chickens have open injuries, you may want to read up more on using ointments (and I am going to revisit the topic myself to be sure). I am sure that the ointment did not hurt the poor girl in your case....sounds like that possum did a lot of damage. I hope you find that possum and can get rid of it before it does more damage. We used a live trap to get ours and have not had any trouble since.

Sorry you had to go thru that. It's no fun watching your birds suffer. Hopefully, the rest of your flock will be okay.

10. gstone

Apr 26, 2010
    South Portland
    I read up quiet a bit about bird wound care, and a LOT of folks said they used neosoprin... which is the only reason I did as well. I made sure it didn't contain any 'caine' as some one else had advised. In any case, what done is done, and I do appreciate your thoughts and kind words. [​IMG] What did you do with the possum after you caged him? We sured up the coop really well yesterday and even put out a light near the coop to deter any night visitors, and that got us threw last night. I will take any more 'predetor' related question to the correct post page. [​IMG] Thanks folks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by