My Chicken Will Not Eat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ekemily, Oct 27, 2010.

1. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    I have a black, sex-link hen that is approximately 4 years old. She is a free range bird, but has access to layer pellets, oyster shell, water, etc.
    For no reason that I can tell, my other 5 hens attacked her one day and tore up her comb pretty good. I isolated her from the others. The next day (still isolated), she was walking around fine and acting normal, except for the little problem that she is not eating. She drinks water. Her crop is empty. Her poop is white. Five days have passed and it is the same. She lays around alot all day on a chaise lounge thingy in the back yard. When I pick her up, she seems alert and looks around... I don't know how much longer she can last or whether or not I should go ahead and put her out of her misery. I checked her vent and felt her abdomen and felt nothing unusual. My other 5 hens are in fine form. Apparently, the other hens know something I don't and they wanted her out of their flock.
    Any thoughts?

2. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    Hi, Sorry for the news.
    I have raised chickens and ducks for five years now and I have a very happy and healthy flock. It wasn't always that way and I really just learn as I go.
    I have had chickens who fight and get their combs bitten and so on and so forth. If the comb is bloody, you did the right thing by seperating her. Chickens will peck at anything red so they will constantly peck at her comb.
    Now, I would put some Neosporin on her comb or some kind of triple antibiotioc cream. Apply a good amount to the area with your fingers.
    Then since she isn't eating, it's probably because she has been removed from the flock. She is depressed. Yes, chickens do get lonely and they hate any kind of change....
    Do Not put her down. She will get over this but you need to feed her some peas, corn and some chopped up lettuce with Yogurt. about a table spoon of yogurt mixed well with the veg's.
    Chickens LOVE corn and peas and Lettuce. I think you just need to keep offering her table food until she gets something in her stomach. As soon as she is feeling better, put her back with the flock. Ther is no reason to put her down.
    I had a chicken recently who for no reason bloated up and was near death. I couldn't understand why she was so sick and I said my good-byes to her. I brought her inside and fed her yogurt and vegs...she ate it all up and I kept her inside for a few days. She didn't seem to be getting any better soi I decided to put her back with the flock and in a matter of 24 hours, she was perking up. In the next few day's, she was completely back to normal. I was stunned !!
    I realized that animals are very resilent and manage to overcome anything. I'm so happy that my hen is back to normal. Like I said, don't put her down. Just help her out by encourgement and lots of love...Please keep me posted on her recovery. Good Luck...Prayers help too...Ray

3. ekemily

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    Thanks for the advice. I'm working with her but I have been unable to get her to eat anything. I really do not put animals down unless I believe they are suffering with the end result of dying. She finds the same spot in the yard (on the lounge) and lays there all day and night. I've brought water and food to her. I'll just have to see how it goes. I'll keep you posted. Thanks

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I am in a very similiar spot right now with one of my older hens (but only 2 years). Got her to eat some scrambled egg yesterday... will try more and other goodies today. Good luck with your girl. I will be following to see what you find works for her.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wonder if she isn't sneaking food and water when no one is looking. That would fit with the behaviors you describe, and it's already a long time to go without anything. Maybe she sees you as part of the flock and is afraid to eat/drink in your presence, too.

I hope she recovers. Good luck.

6. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    I agree with the above poster who stated maybie the hen sees you as a"rooster" or a "domaint hen" (yes spelling) and she fears eating and drinking in you presance? Try placing food infront of her and wathing from a windo( spelling again yes its sad [​IMG] ) see it she sneeks a bite or two [​IMG]

7. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Today I got mine to eat about 4 bites of scrambled egg and a few bites of cracked corn and a few sips of water... hoping this will be enough to get her appetite going again. She is very far down in the pecking order and I am afraid that she IS afraid to eat when others are around. Oatmeal didn't tempt her nor canned cat food. I hope you can find something to tempt your girl.

8. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    Have you tried the yogurt and veg's yet ?

9. ekemily

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    I tried scrambled egg and she ate some of that yesterday, like two bites. Then, I tried an apple and she ate half of it. She is slowly coming around. I know what you mean about the dominant roo thing. This hen is very sweet and likes to be picked up and petted. She doesn't run away from me and really likes attention. She has never acted afraid of me, but may see me as dominant. She has never been around a roo either, so I dunno how she really perceives me. She will NOT eat any layer feed for any amount of coaxing in the world. Her crop still feels quite empty and she feels like she's getting skinny, but maybe I'm just thinking she has lost weight because I'm expecting her to. Her poop is still white. I'll keep you updated
    Here's a pic of her

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by