My chicken will not walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by his4ever, Oct 23, 2011.

1. his4ever

his4ever Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    My chicken Ella Sue, will not walk. When I first saw her this morning she looked like she was taking a dirt bath. She was lying on her side just sitting there. When I was tossing them their morning treat, she did not move and take her position as top hen. When she finally did get up, she collapsed. I've moved her into her own pen and gave her some food and water where she does not have to move. She's eating and drinking just fine.

What do I do???

2. Help_battery_hens

Help_battery_hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Northamptonshire
    could she have had a stroke?

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. his4ever

Jun 25, 2011

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Brown Leghorn, I bought her in April (I guess she's 6 months old?). She seems like her normal weight.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    She is not walking. When she tries to walk, she limps a few steps and then sits down.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    As far as I know of, just this morning. I was not able to make my normal rounds last night, I wish I did.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    Not that I can see.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Not sure.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    She ate some grains this morning and she drank some water. I placed her in her own pen this morning and she has a water dish and a food dish

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    I have not seen a poop yet, I will respond back later once she does go poo. I'll also see if she has laid any eggs yesterday (though all the excitement this morning I forgot to check the nesting box for eggs.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    I separated her from the rest of the flock and gave her own food and water dishes that she does not have to walk to.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I am thinking about going to a vet later today.... if there is a vet in my area. (I'm in Baton Rouge, LA)

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    I'll post a picture later.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Pine shavings.

5. his4ever

Jun 25, 2011
    Ok, after some more observation,

1) She can put pressure on her left foot, but will only move forward by pushing herself with her right wing.
    2) When I touch the pad under her left foot, she grabs my finger, but when I touch the pad under her right foot, nothing happens.
    3) She's laid her egg for today
    4) She's still eating and drinking. But when I put some cantaloupe in the pen for her, she waited till I put it in front of her. She did not want to move to get it.

That's all I got. [​IMG] Now to see if there is someone around town that will look at chickens and not charge me a bundle.

6. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Search here for and inspect her foot, the bottom of her foot for Bumblefoot.

Have you wormed, when, with what?

Search and check for, treat for Eggbound?

7. his4ever

Jun 25, 2011
    She laid an egg today.
    Her feet look fine.
    I have not wormed any of my chickens. Not sure why worms would keep her from walking on her right foot.

8. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Could she have fallen off of the roost and broken her leg or foot?

9. his4ever

Jun 25, 2011
    That's what I am wondering. I contacted the local homeschoolers. They are a wealth of information on different vets that might be able to look at her.

10. his4ever

Jun 25, 2011
    UPDATE : Ella Sue is on the mend! She injured her spine somehow and the Vet said that she had not been using her right leg for over a week and that it atrophied. Here is my blog post on the whole thing:
    http://www.kristiephoto.com/?p=365

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by