My chicken won't come out of her coop...should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ksb23, Jun 20, 2016.

1. ksb23

ksb23 New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    I am new to raising chickens. I have 10 chickens, 3 BO, 3 Ameracaunas, 2 RIR and 2 Red Crosses. They are 16 weeks old. They free range in our yard part of the day. They are always eager to get out of their run. One of the RIR's is particularly friendly and loves being pet, she is usually a bit of a loner and doesn't always stay with the group. This morning she came right out to greet me and to get her morning pet, but when the rest of the group went out to explore, she returned to the coop and that is where she stayed. She doesn't seem sick. Could she be getting ready to lay? When I check on her, she is in a nesting box. Should I be worried?

2. ksb23

ksb23 New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    I just answered my own question. I just went out to check on her, she was in the nesting box and when she moved....an egg! It was small and had some cracks, but and egg! I lifted her out of the box and while I was checking out the egg, she laid another one on the ground! This one was even smaller.
    So, new question, should I start them on layer pellets and oyster shell now?

[​IMG]

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Congrats on the egg..Yes, start them on the oyster shell and layer pellets.

4. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016

Yes, get that calcium going enjoy nature at its finest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by