My chicken won't eat anything, and she won't move or walk!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenMad11, Mar 6, 2013.

1. ChickenMad11

ChickenMad11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2012
    Great Britain
    My chicken has been ill for a number of days now. She won't eat much only sweetcorn and wet bread. She won't move much and we've separated her from the other chickens just in case they get it. Does anyone know what's wrong with her. Just to point out she is nearly 2 years old

[​IMG]

2. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Okay, a little more info needed here. What do her poops look like if any, how is her comb color, any blood, is she wasting...feel her chest and see if the keel bone [breast bone] is sticking out. Can she walk? Even is she doesn't want to, is she able to? When was she wormed last? Let's start with these.

3. ChickenMad11

Nov 17, 2012
    Great Britain
    her comb is pale, i don't know when she was last wormed and her poop is yellow green and has sweetcorn in it :(

4. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Have you checked her for mites? Okay, first thing, see if you can get some vitamins and electrolites into her . Sav-a chick or something like that, mix into her water. If you have any eggs, hard boil one and mash it and feed it to her if she will eat it. The water and vitamins is more important than the food right now but if she'll eat the egg it'll be a good thing. Get some pics of her if you can. Seeing will go a long way in telling what might be wrong. Another thing, how is her crop? Full? Soft? Hard? Does she get grit?

5. ChickenMad11

Nov 17, 2012
    Great Britain
    she is very reluctant to walking, she doers but she doesn't want to. couple of steps at most. her poo is VERY loose, and i think it might be diareheo.

6. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I just noticed you're in GB. I'm not sure what you would have available there for meds or vitamins for poultry. What do you have available at home right now? Any poultry vitamins?

7. ChickenMad11

Nov 17, 2012
    Great Britain
    She dies today, Thursday the 7th march 2013[​IMG]

8. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Oh, I am so very, very sorry. If you are able, please take her to a Vet and have a necropsy done so you will know why it happened. Sometimes no matter what we do, they just seem to give up and die through no fault of our own.

9. ChickenMad11

Nov 17, 2012
    Great Britain
    yes, i think it might have been becuase it was old. i am so sorry myself, i wasen't there to see her last moments

10. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    One other thing I will share with you. If you see one of your birds acting a little off please seek help right away. If you arenoticing it, it's probably been going on longer than you think. I learned this the hard way. If I see anything that isn't quite normal I ask for help. Most times it turns out to be nothing but better safe than sorry. Again, it saddens me that she couldn't be saved, I wish I had had the answers needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by