My chicken wont walk or move its head.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Linds, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Linds

Linds New Egg

Nov 27, 2009
    Florida
    Hey, I have a chicken who is about 4 months old and I left for two weeks to go hang out with some friends. I came back home, his feet were crooked, very large compared to his body and he couldn't walk very well at all and would trip a lot. I thought maybe somebody had stepped on him, or like he fell off my bed? But just as of two days ago, I went to his cage and I thought he was asleep, so I picked him up very gently and then set him on the floor outside his cage. He wouldn't move. He laid there, limp. I don't know what happened! He wont eat at all. He cant move his head, I have to lift his head up and put it into the water dish for him to drink at all. He tries to rearrange himself sometimes and cries out in pain whenever he does so. He wont eat no matter what I offer him.

What could have happened? I'm so scared he'll just die on me soon.

EDIT: he also has a very bad smell about him.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  2. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    This doesn't sound good. He sounds almost paralyzed. Are you sure he is still alive? If he is I wish you hope and luck. Hope he gets better.

3. Linds

Linds New Egg

Nov 27, 2009
    Florida
    he's still alive. he's still breathing and he doesn't chirp at all besides when he tries to move. it might be marek's? I went and looked it up but I don't know how he would've gotten it. he's my only chicken.

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Where is the smell coming from?? Could it be his crop? What does his crop feel like?
    What have you been feeding him?
    How do his feathers look? Do they fall out easily?
    Do you have other chickens?
    Who took care of him while you were gone?
    I am not an expert at all but I am worried about him having a vitamin and/or mineral deficiency.

5. Linds

Linds New Egg

Nov 27, 2009
    Florida
    The smell is coming from his head area. I'm sorry but I don't know what a crop is. I didn't get this chicken because I wanted to, somebody left it with me and never took it back so I didn't get a chance to research as much as possible.

I fed him mash, then I fed him canary feed. I occasionally gave him cottage cheese and some other random, miscellaneous food like a small piece of chip or some of the vegetables I get with my food. He may have a vitamin/mineral deficiency for sure. My father took care of him while I was gone and gave him very little oatmeal and mostly canary feed.

6. chickerdoodle

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    OK, this bird probably has a severe vitamin and mineral deficiency, and quite possibly sour crop and/or coccidia. You need to Poly V Sol without iron into him/her today. What does the poop look like? He/she also needs a complete chicken feed appropriate for a bird this age--plain scrambled eggs can be given right now as well as a little plain yogurt with probiotics. You may also need to give Vitamin E as well. I would do a search on this site for more info on vitamins for emergencies and see the poop page. I am not an expert about this issue but your bird's life DOES depend on it. I hope a more experienced person posts here for you.

If this bird makes it you really should have at least 2 chickens as they are very stressed without a flock. Keep us posted.

The crop is a big sac that holds their food untill it goes into the gizzard. It starts at the end of the esophagus and goes to about the chest. See:

http://www.poultryhelp.com/impactedcrop.html

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  7. Linds

Linds New Egg

Nov 27, 2009
    Florida
    His crop is very empty feeling. I remember feeling it before I just ended up dubbing it his "food pouch" he would always empty it everyday and I gave him plenty of water. maybe they didn't when I was gone? His poop is a little watery but brown and white, no blood, like coccidia would do.

I'll make sure he gets everything asap. I'll tell you if it makes him better.

8. Linds

Linds New Egg

Nov 27, 2009
    Florida
    UPDATE:

I got him vitamin E, poly-vi-sol without iron, apple juice, an avocado and some plain yogurt. I gave him the vitamin E, poly-vi-sol and apple juice and was preparing the yogurt for him and he ended up pooping and it smelled very horrible. It was mostly water with very little stool. I haven't tried for the yogurt and avocado yet.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  9. chickerdoodle

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I'm not sure avocado is good for chickens--its certainly a big No No for my parrot! Give some scrambled egg too for protein and other nutrients. I hope he gets better !! [​IMG]

10. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    NO AVOCADO! IT WILL KILL HER! birds can not assimate the intense fat content!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by