My chicken won't walk or stand I think he may have hurt one of his legs!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chick321, Aug 6, 2014.

1. chick321

chick321 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    My grandfather found this little guy outside of the barn Friday morning. I think he may have hurt his leg he is able to bend both of them he just refuses to stand he is eating and drinking regularly I'm not sure what I can do for him HELP![​IMG]

2. chick321

Aug 6, 2014
    This is what he looks like when he is sitting and not laying[​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is this one of your chickens that has been injured or has a disease, or did it just show up this way? Was he attacked by a predator?

4. chick321

Aug 6, 2014
    No he was born right in the barn and seemed fine until that morning I'm not sure if he tried to crawl underneath the barn door and hurt his leg by doing that, he has no marks on him that would suggest he was attacked by something

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Look for any swelling or evidence of a break in his legs. I would put vitamins in his water in case there is some deficiency affecting his walking. Do you have other roosters or cockerels that might have chased him or hurt him? Maybe he got hurt by a predator when he got out. I think that keeping him in a small space with food and water, and giving him some scrambled chopped eggs would help. If he has wounds, apply Neosporin ointment, but if they are more scrapes, then Blu-Kote would be better, and would cover his bare spots when going back into the flock.

6. chick321

Aug 6, 2014
    Yes there are other chickens, there was a little swelling at first but that is gone now I can not feel any breaks in his leg or joints and he is still bending it. I'm going to go get him vitamins today at the feed store

7. chick321

Aug 6, 2014
    Another question is it normal for him to sleep a lot where he is still young and is going through a lot right now?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He may be in shock or could have some internal injuries. Also watch him in case he is sick with something such as cocci. Since he looks young, he could have been sick first, and then attacked. I would watch his poops, and get him to eat and drink. They sometimes will eat their feed if it is a little wet with water.

9. chick321

Aug 6, 2014
    He is eating and drinking normally he does not seem sick he is bright eyed and alert he just refuses to stand up his poops are normal what is cocci?

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by