My Chicken World (journal kept updated w/ pictures and stories)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Morgan7782, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Took some pictures today of the girls. It's their third day of being integrated free ranging. It went AWESOME. Joon only chased a little, Munk only got bullied a little, and everybody seemed to have a good time. The only one little problem is Monica, my Dark Brahma, is trying to fly EVERYWHERE! She has been trying for the roof, but hits the wall every time she tries. Or she will fly halfway across the yard and land in the roses. Not really flying.. More like falling with style [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] But I worry she will hurt herself so I will keep an eye on her and the minute she is able to get on the roof or out of the yard I have to give her to some lucky BYCer. None of the other girls do that, and I would hate for bad habits to spread lol. But she is still in the yard now so hopefully she will stop throwing herself across the yard. So anywho, here are some pictures! And a key:

KEY:

Monica - 5 month old Dark Brahma pullet
    Joon - 15 week old Barred Rock pullet
    Munk - 15 week old Easter Egger pullet
    Butternut - 11 week old Splash Wyandotte pullet
    Phoebe - 11 week old Blue Wyandotte

That's the gang, onto pictures!

Joon strutting her stuff for the camera
    [​IMG]

Butternut and Phoebe exploring the patio where we were hanging out
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Munk being careful around Monica, and Joon making Monica stay at bay
    [​IMG]

Watching Monica walk by
    [​IMG]

Monica checking in on her adopted crew
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Monica
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gaurding the babies (Butternut and Phoebe)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Phoebe and Butternut saying good night!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Aww They're *adorable*!!!! Do U Have A Coop Page?

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Nope don't have a coop page [​IMG] I should make one, but I have one kit coop for the Brahma and Wyandottes and then a seperate coop for the Barred Rock and Easter Egger. My coop for Munk and Joon is a reinforced HUGE dog crate. It's small, just 4 x 2.5 feet but enough room for 2 hens and it's utterly predator proof [​IMG]

4. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Ooooohhh, they are pretty! What a great assortment! I love to see all the different colors in my yard too!

oh, and dont re-home! Just clip one, or both, of her wings- just the longer flight feathers. It wont hurt her and it will keep her from flying too high. The feathers will grow back after a molt or 2, so no permanent damage is done by clipping the feathers.

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I almost couldn't see Phoebe in the last pic-she is very well hidden at dusk isn't she?
    Very pretty flock you have. [​IMG]

6. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Yeah! Don't sell your only Brahma--- brahmas are the bomb! Hehe.

7. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I know it I do love her she is great. I haven't been able to handle her yet, and haven't given it much of a try to catch her. I am letting her settle in before I try to 'tame the wild chicken'. She hadn't been handled a ton since she was in the big girl coop so it should be interesting lol! I will look into the wing clipping. I am surprised because she can jump a good 7 feet in the air with a little help. Like she get's on the run roof and away she goes lol. Usually ends up hitting the side of the house once a day.

Thank you for the compliments. They are all great. I had another Splash Wyandotte but HE decided to crow the other day [​IMG] [​IMG] I have a friend in Nevada County who was looking for a rooster though, didn't care what kind but she has a group of hens with no rooster, so she picked Jesse James up yesterday. He is a sweet boy, and that's why I thought he was a girl, but no [​IMG]

They are all great and have their seperate personalities. Watching the flock work is like watching a dog pack, or horse herd, the hierarchy is all the same. Boss, middles, omega. The funny thing is the omega (lowlowlow chicken) is BEST FRIENDS with the "alpha" chicken. It's interesting because whenever Munk is seperated from Joon, she get's her tail chased/pecked. But then Joon runs back and the offenders SCATTER! [​IMG]

8. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    AAW SO SWEET [​IMG]
    oh so you need to change your signature that says "two splash wyandotte girls"
    lol

9. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    One of my EE girls is almost fully feathered now and, looking at her the other day, I thought where have I seen that feather color/ pattern before? And then it came to me. She looks EXACTLY like little Munk!

10. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

What is Monica??? She is beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by