My chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by karen biby, Mar 20, 2015.

1. karen biby

karen biby New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    I don't know what I am doing, new here. Please help. I have a chicken who has been laying brown eggs and now all of a sudden they are white, looks like losing weight and I cant find any answers, have checked for mites. Please help

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Is she eating well and active? How old is she, what breed, and how long has she been laying? What kind of feed do you use? Do you have other birds, how many, and are they laying? What is your coop and run like?

3. wyandottegirl

wyandottegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Hi! Welcome to BYC. Do you have any other hens that might have laid that white egg? As for her losing weight I would look for worms and lice. You can see if see has worms by looking at her droppings. Good luck.[​IMG]

4. karen biby

karen biby New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    I don't know what kind she is, she is black, had been laying brown eggs, now white, I have been reading could be anemic, she has no worms or mites, have l other chicken and she is having no problems. They get vitamins in their water, pellets, scratch, meat, oatmeal, lettuce, I just don't know what else to do.

5. karen biby

karen biby New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    She is about a year old and still active and eats well, they live in a turned upside down dog pen with extra fencing on it because of coons, have a house inside of this, I have one other chicken who is orange and white. They have a heat lamp and blankets completely covering the dog cage. I feed them pellets, scratch, meat, oatmeal, lettuce, biscuits and even scrambled eggs. use to always lay brown eggs, now all of a sudden white. She is a black hen. I have no idea what they are just know I love both of them and they are pets.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    The shells of brown eggs are actually white, with the brown pigment added to the outside surface just before they are layed. Sometimes there can be a glitch in the pigment mechanism, and that may be what happened to your hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by