My chickens ain't chicken. My guineas either...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chikkenfriend, Sep 2, 2014.

1. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    I don't know about you but we're very glad to have Labor Day over with. It of course coincided with the opening of Dove Season. That is saying a whole lot here in North Texas!

Well, two of my neighbors leased out their land. There were pickups, suv's, 4-wheelers and ATV's on every square foot of land around us! Some 200 heathens with guns runnin' 'round itchin' ta kill somethin' is what we had. Needless to say, we had some rattled nerves to deal with.

BUT, as the title suggests, the only truly rattled nerves were mine. I was running 'round like a chicken... Well, you know. Anyway, I gathered, and soothed, and comforted our birds. So I thought. It wasn't long before I realized that our birds were business as usual despite the war zone we were in.

It literally rained lead on several occasions. Don't ask, but the perpetrators were soon on their way home. And the two doves (mortally wounded) that landed on my land stayed on my land. Much to the chagrin of some very chic, camo'd out, super-gun totin' city slickers.

As I was saying, I was a wreck, hollerin' n screamin' some sulphur and hellfire expletives at every human invader in sight. All the while, our girls put out 8 eggs and the guineas took over the small chicken tractor. Again.

It was only after I'd worn myself out and had resigned myself to sitting in the middle of my yard with 12 gauge on my lap and .30-.30 at my side, that it truly struck me. Chickens ain't stupid. Nor are they chicken. When the idiots to the west shot my trees, the chickens moved to the east side of the house. (More than I can say for my neighbor to the north. He took three pellets in the neck. You should have seen the heathens run after that, I tell you what!). The guineas, were yackin' up a storm at my feet. No big deal.

The lesson? I guess I should have asked my birds how they were doing before I went and had a cow. Had I been smart, I would have taken comfort from them, knowing that they knew how to deal with the situation. Even when I did not.

Next year will be better. I'll be mentally prepared. And I'll have plenty of spike strips and roofing nails on hand ahead of time.

Happy After Labor Day to All and Happy Dove Season!

P.s. I got 10. :p:p

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    WOW. I hope the doves are OK now? Chickens aren't bothered by stuff at all....they just look at it and if it's not edible then they either run away from it or ignore it!

3. chikkenfriend

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop

The doves are safely basking in marinade. They will be dinner tonight. And yes, our birds took it all in stride.

4. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Oh and I feel bad for your neighbor. lol Well at least the doves are out of pain.

5. chikkenfriend

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop

My neighbor is fine. He's more angry than hurt. But oh you should have seen him! The doves didn't suffer long. I pulled their heads off when I saw they were still alive.

6. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Pulled.....their heads off! Yucky![​IMG]

7. chikkenfriend

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    A little messy but it's quick. They were hurting, had to do something. So, I did the first thing that came to mind. I actually didn't mean to 'pull it off'. I only meant to break its neck but they are such delicate little things. And I used full force since doing it half way would only mean more suffering.

8. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Oh yucky and horrible! No further detail is needed. [​IMG][​IMG]
    I'm never hunting! lol

9. chikkenfriend

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    :yuckyuck

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]glad you and your flock were unscathed. Too bad you didn't have a bee hive to hurl at them. Are they legally allowed to shoot like that with no regard for things out of bounds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by