My chickens always act hungry even though they have lots of food???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by aprilschickens, Dec 21, 2007.

1. aprilschickens

aprilschickens New Egg

Dec 21, 2007
    I am new to having chickens. I have 3. They get plenty of food, they have water and they have grit and they are laying eggs every day. Yet everytime I come near the window or outside they run over to the corner of their cage (10L x 6w x 8h) as if they want or need something deparately! I can't figure out what?

Thanks.

2. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    you're lovin! They are shameless beggars for treats! I love to see my chickens flying, jumping, tumbling all over each other to get the first treats that I throw out! They keep me laughing! [​IMG]

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    They are training you well! [​IMG]

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I keep saying that chickens are really little pigs in disguise as chickens!! [​IMG] Mine have all they can eat and get reg. treats but each time they hear the door to the house they come running (if they are free ranging) and flying across the yard yelling their heads off looking for something to eat! They really are pigs.

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Yup...

Another sucker is born.... Welcome... [​IMG]

6. crazy4chicsinBC

crazy4chicsinBC Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2007
    Abbotsford, B.C.
    yup mine too!! HAve lots of food but everytime they see me coming they figure there is treats involved
    Quite funny to see them racing towards me like they havn't had a a meal in a month!

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have one that is particularly hoggish.

If she had her way, she would eat every morsel of food that comes into the run until she exploded!
    [​IMG]

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    [​IMG]

9. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    As long as each chicken is getting .358076 pounds at feed per day, unless it is cold, all the rest is to show their love for you. As those before me has said, "they are trianing you." And you have now became a true sucker of the chicken world. Next they will be sitting on your knee or head begging for treats.
    We have all been there and love every minute of it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  10. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Mine get 2 tubes of crickets every Sat. and I swear they know when Sat. gets here, they BOK BOK until they see the red tube. Silly chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by