my chickens and dog food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pinkwindsong, Feb 20, 2012.

1. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    My chickens have taken up with raiding my dogs dog food bowl. I tried putting it in a deeper bucket and the girls got the roo to get in it and pulling out peices and then he gives the pieces to the girls.. I shouldnt worry should I ? he eats good food.. the most I figure I have to worry about was him getting mad that they are eating his food.

thanks Pink

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    My chickens head straight to the dog food dish when I let them out in the morning, and my dog heads to the coop for chicken feed. I figure it's a fair trade-off.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    There really isn't a lot of difference in the ingredient lists of chicken and dog food. I have a rooster living in the house for over 4 months now (long story) and he will no longer eat chicken food. He absolutely ignores it, but he LOVES dog and cat food. He eats form the dog bowl and drinks from the pet fountain. The only thing I've noticed is it has changed his poop to be a bit wetter and is colored from the food colorings in dog/cat food. Is it safe? Probably. Is it best? Probably not. Many of us don't eat what's best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by