My chickens and the switched roo

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by cknmom, Dec 14, 2008.

1. cknmom

cknmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    I finally got good pics of my chickens now that they are healthy.
    DH bout them for me and they didn't look too good when he brought them home. I figured that they looked ragged because they were kept in with four huge roos that were VERY aggressive. I was right, they look great now! I don't know what kind they are though.

Before
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone switched our weird roo on us! He is about a yr. and a half. We couldn't tell if he was a roo or not, he didn't crow, or even try. He made cooing and duck type sounds. He looked like a cross between a turkey and a vulture. About 2 weeks ago, it seems that someone switched him on us. Eggbert, is now crowing a beautiful crow, and looks beautiful!!!

Before
    [​IMG]

Now
    [​IMG]

Now I am waiting until he figures out what he is supposed to be doing with his girls!

Monica

I don't know what kind of roo Eggbert is either.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Your girls look alot like mine. I believe mine to be a RIR mixed with a sexlink because I was told there were RIR's, but 4 of them look alot like my sexlinks...

[​IMG]

Your rooster looks a bit like my RIR (seen here with 2 of the sexlinks):

[​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They look like my Cinnamon Queen.

Go to the Cackle Hatchery website...there are pics there.

4. cknmom

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    Lil-They do look a lot alike.

mahonri- I will check cackle hatchery. Is cinnamon queen a breed or sub-breed, mix, whatever. Still new at this, sorry.

Monica

5. LilBizzy

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Cinnamon Queens, Red Stars,Gold Star and Golden Comets are all names of sexlink chickens. As chicks, the males wll be white, and the females will be more reddish in color, so they are able to tell upon hatching what the sex is.
    I don't know what the difference is between them. There might be a slight color variation, but I think basically they are all the same thing.

6. LilBizzy

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok, I found out wht the difference is:

Red Sex-Links are the result of various crosses.

White Rocks with the silver factor (the dominant white gene would produce all white offspring) are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Golden Comet.

Silver Laced Wyandotte crossed with New Hampshire gives the Cinnamon Queen.

Two other crosses are obtained with Rhode Island White x Rhode Island Red, and Delaware x Production Red. These two crosses are simply called Red Sex-Links.

Males hatch out white and, depending on the cross, feather out to pure white or with some black feathering. Females hatch out buff or red also depending on cross, and they feather out in one of three ways

7. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    They sure do look a lot healthier! Good job on making them happy!

8. cknmom

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    Thanks lil, that helps a lot!

Monica

9. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Wow, that's a huge improvement, they look much healthier & happier [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by