My chickens are 26 weeks old, but one is just not maturing...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BethieofVA, Sep 6, 2010.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    [​IMG]

The one Black Sex Link in the middle of the picture is Minnie. She barely has a red comb and no wattle. It is like she is the runt and the others just left her in the dirt. They were all the same age, bought the same time, feed the same thing, but she is just not maturing. Is this unusal?

The two RIR are laying, the other BSL is squatting, but Minnie just wants to be petted. I worry about her. She doesn't get picked on and gets her fair share. I am just curious. Thanks!

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I had one that was slower than the others too. I think they are just on their own time frame.

3. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    one of my 9 was slower than the rest to mature. she is 26 or 27 wks now and is still not laying on a really regular basis - maybe 3-4x per week.

4. Adora

Adora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Southeast NC
    All of mine look different on the scale, mine are bsl, and gsl. They are going on 21 weeks tomorrow, and some have no comb, while others do have some pink ones, and some are getting kind of red faced, and they were all hatched the same day.

5. mahabharat

mahabharat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    virginia
    she's a good size, has a great shiny feathered body, is interested in food (judging from the photo) and seems to be ok, not picked on... not failing to thrive, just moving at her own speed, maybe. good luck! i hope she does well.[​IMG]

6. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Thanks I do fee better knowing that she is just taking her sweet ol'time.

7. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    Probably just a late bloomer. It happens. She looks very healthy otherwise!

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have a RIR the same way. All the other girls got big combs and started laying. Not Stink Eye little pea comb no eggs. That was about a month ago then all of the sudden she started to lay and lo and behold we are getting a decent comb going. She wasnt any smaller than the others just slower to mature.

9. sequoiacyclist

sequoiacyclist Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Visalia, CA
    Quote:[​IMG] I've got a few "Stink Eye little pea comb no eggs" in my pen. Lol! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by