My chickens are 36 weeks........ And not laying :/

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SilkieChickenLover336, Dec 13, 2011.

1. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have 3 chickens. 1 Silkie (Dakota) and 2 seremas (Juice and Rosie). Dakota is about 1 week and 5 days older then juice and Rosie. Dakotas birthday is April 29th and the others are may 11th. They are basically 32 weeks old. But there not laying. WHY!! Like they are about 12 weeks over due. I know silkies lay pretty late but not this late! And the seremas are kinda mutts there the size of a serema but they are also god only knows! But why Aren't they laying??????

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Silkies are late bloomers. Give them time. I have a 9 month old polish who was POL when I got her Aug 1/11 - They said she was already laying. She has not laid an egg again. I know she is relatively young because her wattles have developed somewhat. It's frustrating.

I know someone who has a 2 year old silkie female who has never laid an egg and still goes broody!

3. SilkieChickenLover336

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    What about the others? They have never laid an egg. And there eggs are going to be the size of fart eggs cause there sooooo small

4. quillary

quillary Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Are those breeds very light-sensitive? They may not start laying until the days get longer.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    My silkie is taking her good old time...I don't think she's layed an egg YET! I have little bantam cochins that just started to lay, and I know they're WAAAY older than 20 weeks......

Patience.....They'll lay........And when they do you'll be SO SURPRISED! [​IMG]

6. SilkieChickenLover336

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:I have no clue

7. SilkieChickenLover336

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Lol she hasn't either and I'm like dyin! The day they turned 5 mo I was like OMG NO WAY YAY EGGS SOOON!!!!!! Then 2 mo later na da. [​IMG]

8. SilkieChickenLover336

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Lol she hasn't either and I'm like dyin! The day they turned 5 mo I was like OMG NO WAY YAY EGGS SOOON!!!!!! Then 2 mo later na da. [​IMG]

Did I mention they are aLso very pound ever since I removed the roosters from them?

9. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

My Silkies are about that age and eggless. The Silkie rooster has also yet to show much maleness. He crowed a few times several months back, but that's about it.

My Seramas began laying at about 20 weeks. They totally stopped when the weather got cold (one went through a molt) and are now starting up again. The coop is lit, so that probably helps.

10. SilkieChickenLover336

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Shhh I'm sooooo confused

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by