My chickens are being mean!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicknduck, Jul 27, 2010.

1. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    OK so my birds were able to free range and did very well untill a neighbor kid was calling them over to an ajascent (sorry spelling) property and then being mean to them. One ran into a yard where a dog is chained and well we lost one. After this I asked the boy not to call them up with food in your hand and then kick them when they peck you. Anyways he got mad and called the police after calling them over by the dog again and told them we already saw one get killed and dont want to have to see it again. I heard him saying here chicky chicky like 4 minutes before the cops came banging on my door asking me to get the chicken that got loose. This boy has had the police called to his house numorous times. oh and I have asked the boy on several occasions not to feed them cause I did not want them going up into other yards. We have 3 acres of dence woods and the chickens were always very happy in the woods. OK not to rant but that is the background.
    So I build a very big run for them. It seemed like they were getting used to it at first but now If I do not give them a treat to destract them while opening the gate they all try to get out of just peck the crap out of me. One acttually got out walked around the outside of the run and then came right back in. I am not sure what to make of their new behavior? Does anyone have any pointers for me. I have hung a treat ball wich I fill everyday. They have bails of hay that they love to tear apart and I take them crickets and let them catch for a treat. Anyone know if they will adjust?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Sorry you've got a rotten neighbor kid! Mine stay locked up during the day, and then they're out after I get home from work. I was letting them out longer, but then they were straying a bit too far....(I live out in the boonies, but I've got 2 neighbors). I'd come home from work and see a chicken in my neighbors driveway....Lucky for me the neighbors just think the chickens are interesting and funny!

I think they will get used to being locked up, but it will take time. When mine are locked up during the day, they are allways squawking their disapproval whenever they see me outside. They all swarm by the door when they see me coming after work.......

There's a thing called a flock block that is neat too......it looks like a huge parrot treat.....it's as big as a salt or mineral block......they might like that.....

3. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    I am gonna look into the flock block. I cant do anything about the mean neighbor kid just avoid him and keep my animals safe. I just want to keep them entertained. They go out early morning untill the night.
    I was thinking that it may just take them awhile to adjut too.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  4. chickens are awesome

chickens are awesome Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    When chickens are used to something they get used to the routine, and this is what happened with their happiness in free ranging. They dont want to be locked up. As the other person sad, just let them get used to it, and dont give in.

5. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Thanks for the input.

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I'd keep an eye on the mentally ill kid. It's a known fact that kids who are mean to animals become sociopaths.

As for the flock you may need to change it out for a new one.

7. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Yah the boy seams like something isn't right with him. I was thinking of changing some out I have 11 hens and recomendations on how many to change out?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  8. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I would suggest a really, REALLY tall fence on that side and/or some really tall and/or thick trees and shrubs. Hopefully, the neighbors will move away, but you can't count on that. I just don't understand meanness or parents that don't watch their children, knowing that they are misbehaving...

9. ma66ie

ma66ie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    too bad you can't taser the little ba*tard. [​IMG]

10. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:Funny.
    They rent the the house and I have a six ft fence up for my immediate yard but we have 2 acres pass that. I am looking into planting Aussie willows. They are supposed to grow really quick. I mean the kid is 12 or 13 and is just out of controll. I was never bothered by it until now. Some people just have to mess things up for tthe rest of us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by