1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens are bullying eachother, any advice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hannah-axon, Jun 22, 2008.

1. hannah-axon

hannah-axon New Egg

Jun 21, 2008
    We have a chicken who is 8 months who has been used to a live of luxury as shes been on her own. on monday we rescued 2 ex battery girls but now our original chook and one of the new ones are bullying the other new one and have made her bleed(mainly been pecking at her tail area). We have seperated her but ideally want them to all live together and get on. Is there anything we can do as I have read somewhere that once they start pecking just one chicken they will continue until she is dead!Also could it be just this chicken they dont like or if we ever get more will the same thing happen again?

Thanks for reading hannah xx:(

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Keep the bully separated, unless the more urgent need is to separate the pick one. Put some Blu-Kote on her wounds to disinfect and hide them.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Put them together but have some chicken wire between them so they can see each other. Leave them like that for a week and then try putting them together again. This worked for me before.

4. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Where can you buy this Blu-Kote ?

I found one of my 13 week old chicks with bleeding from pecking and all she wanted to do is LAY around . I separated her from the rest of the flock .

She seems to be doing much better this morning .
    I also put her a little sugar in her water for entergy . ANY other advice . I am noticing alot of pecking also going on , BUT this one was the only one bleeding from the pecking . We did spray some purple stuff on her ( can't not remember the name ) MIGHT be what you mentioned . IF IT IS , sure need to get more of that . This can was given to hubby .

We moved the flock into their new coop and run last night ( THANK GOD ) we were able to finally complete it . BUT , I am still noticing the peaking from some .

They must be adjusting ok , we did find an egg this morning in one of the nest box. LOL

we have 3 other hens that have not started layign YET , should not be very long tho .......... Any signs when they are approaching the laying stage ?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

You can get Blu Kote at Tractor Supply or similar farm stores. You may have to ask as they don't always have it in the poultry sections. Wear old clothing and be prepared to scrub it off of you afterwards. I have never sprayed it on a chicken when I didn't get it on me too!

6. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:thanks for your advice . I am going to go outside and check the name of that stuff . Like I said it was given to Mike ( hubby ) and we just about used the whole can , SO FAR , we have never gotten any on us , but always a 1st. time for everything .

Do you think it was good given her a little sugar in the water ? Should I be doing this to the others as well ? THEY are all very active tho , and we have cut all their wings so they can not fly until we can finish wiring the top of the run area . That is all that is left to complete or than painting the outside of the coop .

7. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    I think a small amount of sugar water would be fine...maybe not for very long. Just enough to get a little energy. If the other birds are active, though, I wouldn't see any reason to give THEM the sugar water. They're probably fine.

8. satieclan

satieclan New Egg

Jun 26, 2008
    Hi Hannah, just wanted to let you know that I have just experienced the same behaviour today from my chooks. I have never had chooks before and brought 6 x Isa Brown Pullets about 4 weeks ago (all about 17 weeks old). Before today I have never had any problems with any of the hens, but was horrified when I went to feed them to find one of my hens had been pecked so bad from the rear end she was bleeding and looked like she had gone into shock. I know that she was pecked by at least 3 other hens as they had blood on their heads. I have separated her from the rest of the group, but was told to see if I could find a bird out of the group who had not pecked at her and put that bird with the injured chook as a companion. Then was told to put the two birds close to the main coop and run so the others could see them, but not get at them. After about a week, I was told to try and introduce the two separated chooks back into the main run and see if they are accepted by the rest of the group. By apparently giving the injured chook a companion, this is supposed to help in the recovery and not make the chook feel so isolated. It is supposed to also be easier for the chook to fit back in with the original group.

Remembering back to when I brought the chooks, there were two roosters in with the group (I have none). I was wondering if one of the chooks had taken on a dominant role in lieu of the rooster with the pecking?

I was hoping that you could update me with how you went with your poor chook that was hen pecked as I would be interested to know.

Mira [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  9. spankyway

spankyway Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2008
    Dallas, Georgia
    I have Bantams and Cochins. We started with two Bantams we bought and then we got the other ten for free. The first two we had were alone for about three weeks, then we added the other ten. Now the ten want to pick on the first two, I wish I could make it stop. The two Cochins are real territorial, but they are probably the oldest two I have and they are both hens. The main rooster does not seem to mind the two first Bantam's but all the others don't like them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by