My chickens are chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Carlh, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Carlh

Carlh New Egg

Oct 30, 2010
    My chickens are about 8 weeks old and run in the coop and hide every time I come around. How can I get them to
    be less chicken? At what age can I let them loose in the yard?
    Can anyone help?

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    My advice is to spend more time with them. Just hang out in the coop, maybe try to handfeed them some yummies. Gently pick them up... Let them know that you are not going to hurt them. Think of it from their angle- they are teeny tiny and you are a giant in big rubber boots. [​IMG]

Is your yard fenced, bird wire top? I'd say they can go out when they can't fit through the fencing. [​IMG]

3. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Quote:I started hand feeding treats to my RIRs when they were about 2 weeks old. They quickly learned that when I approached, treats are on the way. Now, at 8 weeks old, they come running to me. However, they still don't like to to pick them up or touch them too much. I can live with that.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Hand feeding and table scraps gets em coming when you call. Mine will come running when I whistle not knowing where they ran off too. They get needy after they start laying also. Wanting to be petted more, even the flighty Leghorns I got at 5 months old became more affectionate after laying though they'll never be as personal as the Balck Star or Barred Rock.

5. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    Hand feed them treats. Soon they will do the chicken stampede you when they see you coming! [​IMG]
    I also held mine a lot when small...ok...so mine are spoiled rotten.

6. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I hang out with my flock a lot. I always have treats for them and talk to them. They love scrambled eggs and cheese the best, if you don't care about a veggie diet. I even have one that comes when I call her, I usually have some worms for her to scratch at, but she's not too fond of being held. 'Y silkie also loces being held and comes running to me as well. I've had her since 3 days old and held her constantly.

7. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I would say they are well old enough to free range. I started mine at 2 months, but i wouldn't do it any sooner.

8. Carlh

Carlh New Egg

Oct 30, 2010
    Thank you all for your support! I will do as you suggest, thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by