My chickens are completely chicken!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Robin'sBrood, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    We're getting our first, and probably last, snow of the season. I kept the chickens in their coop for an extra hour this morning so my roo was anxiously crowing when I went out to let them out. The door on coop goes down and makes ramp for them. Well, my big boy, who was hatched in April and has never seen the white stuff, comes running out and then comes to a screeching halt on the ramp. He stood there and look around in bewilderment, then proceeded to high tail it back inside the coop. He then started sounding the "DANGER" alarm. He STILL... and it's been almost 3 hours... has not come out of that coop. None of them are out... there are no cute little chicken foot prints in my snow! They're all acting like big chickens about the strange, cold, white stuff that is falling from the sky. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

One of my Millie Fleur d'Uccle girls did come and she freaked out. I have video, I'll upload it in a bit. I think I may have some of his alarm sounds in the video. [​IMG]

2. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    No rooster alarm on the videos, darn it, but here is our little Crazy Daisy NOT enjoying her first snow. [​IMG]
    You can hear my roo, Lacey, joining in too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2009
  3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Hahahaha.... my chickens won't come out either... if I bring them out to the run the skoot right back up the ladder to the safety spot! Brought them some luke warm water in a pan from inside. Amazingly, their waterer was only slushy and not frozen at all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MrsShag

MrsShag Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    My girls won't come out at all. I was thinking something was wrong with them but I guess they are just "chicken" I keep seeing their little heads poke out of the coop but they just go right back in. This is day 2 of them not coming out even for a minute.

5. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Same here. Even my roo is being a sissy about this snow. [​IMG] Their coop is going to need a serious cleaning once this snow has melted!

6. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    MrsShag, what kind of dogs is that in your avatar? [​IMG]

7. MrsShag

Jan 6, 2009
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    The white one is a Shih-tzu and the black one is a Pekepoo.

They are great doggies.

I see you have a puppy dog too, I would have more if I had more room in the house.

8. MrsShag

Jan 6, 2009
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Well, I couldn't stand it so I went out and got the shovel. Got almost all of the snow out of their run and as soon as I opened the coop door they came right out. [​IMG] Have I spoiled my chickens now too???

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  9. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I was out taking pictures of the kids having snowball fights, etc. and I walked by the chicken run... [​IMG]
    That is as far as they would go. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by