1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens are decreasing their egg laying...what's up?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by countrycakelady, Aug 15, 2014.

1. countrycakelady

countrycakelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    :( I have a flock of 22 total, 14 of which are about 1.5 years old....the other 8 are about 5months old...the 8 are laying their pullet eggs faithfully.....the 14 1 1/2 yr. olds are really not doing as well....everyone is eating the same laying feed...they get to free range from about 12-8 everyday...even when it rains...which we have had TONS of this summer.......LOTS OF RAIN.....I have started giving them vitamins in their waterers, they get treats, such as a birdseed/oats/BOSS mix about 1x a day...they are not going hungry, the feeders are ALWAYS with food.....I don't know what else to do. :( Ideas and suggestions are quite welcome.....

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Have the 1.5 year olds molted yet? Its possible that they are going to be molting soon, as a chicken tends to molt around 1 year old. When molting, before molting, and for a little while after molting, chickens will often stop laying eggs.

Its also possible that they are laying their eggs in another place while free ranging, but if they haven't had a problem with that until now, that's probably not the case.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  3. countrycakelady

countrycakelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Most of them went thru a what I would have called a 'light molt' earlier this year....I guess it could be possible that they are preparing to molt again? I just don't know....wonder if I need to up the protein more...they should be getting what they would need in their feed/free ranging...could all this rain have anything to do with it? Clueless here in NC.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by