My chickens are drinking A LOT of water!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicks Galore3, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My chickens are drinking a ton more water then they used to! The waterer usually lasts them 4-5 days, and now it is only lasting them 2-3 days. It has been -20's to the teens. Are they just drinking more because it is so cold?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Were they able to access an alternative water source that may now be frozen?

3. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I am pretty sure not. They haven't gone outside much, to cold! And there isn't any other source in the coop.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Or on the flip side, is something else that was drinking other water now drinking your chicken's water?

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The more dry food, as in the ground stuff you buy, that they consume, the more water they will drink. When temperatures drop the birds consume more to stay warm. Result, cold can mean more water consumption. If bulk of food consumed with high moisture content such as green vegetable matter and live animals like insects, then relationship does not hold and with my free-range birds it seems to reverse. When very cold they do not need to loose water to stay cool and water coming from metabolism in addition to water already present in hydrated foods can be enough to meet needs.

6. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Ok- that is what I figured. I've had mice problems, but I had them before I noticed the increase. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by