My chickens are dying.. advice??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JulieGentry2009, Aug 7, 2011.

1. JulieGentry2009

JulieGentry2009 New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    So far, I haven't lost any roosters.. only hens.. First I notice my hens eyes closed.. it almost seems like they are a little crusty around the eyelids.. I took my neices pet chicken inside and put a warm, wet rag on her eyes and that opened them but there is kind of a greenish goop over her eyeballs.. I also notice that when I pick up the sick chicken she has NO breast meat what so ever.. I lose at least two chickens a week to whatever this is.. does anyone have a clue? Thanks for the help. [​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Are they rattle-y? Discharge from the eyes/nose/mouth is common in respiratory issues.

3. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    There is a page for chicken illness. http://www.thepoultrysite.com/info/treatmentguide.php There are many more than this one to help in figuring out problems. I keep tetracycline on hand. However, it doesn't work on everything, so you have to just try your best. It is so disappointing when chickens get sick. Hugs, and best of luck......

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I would put all the chickens on antibiotics, and also worm them asap.

5. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    It seems like a fungal problem, NO anti-biotics! they will make it worse. My advise would be Olive leaf extract, or Grapefruit seed extract, and their food should be plain yogurt, no ultra-pasteurized stuff.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  6. marialane

marialane Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I, too, lost a hen this morning. Her name was Sadie and she was my favorite:(

Last week I noticed she was favoring her right leg. So, I separated her for a day and she rested. She appeared to quickly recover, although there was still a little limp. Last night they all went to coop after free ranging and this morning she is dead. Boy this is a sad day for me too.

7. JulieGentry2009

JulieGentry2009 New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    Thanks for the help.. yes, they get a bit rattley.. sounds like they have trouble breathing.. right when they are about to die.. But I don't understand why it feels like they have NO breast meat...?
    What can I do to get rid of the respitory problem?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by