1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chickens are dying! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bigg Red, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Bigg Red

Bigg Red Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2009
    I need help, for some reason my chickens are dying and I don't know why? In the last 2 months I believe I have lost 5 chickens when I didn't lose any for the 1st 8 months i started raising chickens?? Could it be because the colder weather? They are all almost 1 yr old, there are 2 heat lamps inside, its been cold but the house stays dry and warm. They have been eating and drinking normal at least so I think. The one thing I have seen in the dead birds is it appears their chests are swollen alomst to the size of basballs. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any advice anyone please. Thanks

2. chickenjim64

chickenjim64 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2007
    Victor,Montana
    Are they getting enough grit in there diet? thats why they could be swelled up in the chest the food is not being ground down and just building up..

3. Bigg Red

Oct 8, 2009
    I believe so, I put down crushed shells every other week or so, and they are primarily free range so I figured they would have gotten what they need from the dirt and rocks and such.

4. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    To completely understand what is going on...go to the sticky on top of the emergency section..and answer those questions...there are many ppl here to help you out but its so much easier to know the background first...

5. chickenjim64

chickenjim64 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2007
    Victor,Montana
    I let mine free range i have oyster shell that they seem to turn there nose up at, but someone told me if there out all the time FR they don't need grit i wasn't sure if you let your girls out or not maybe someone with more knoledge will help you this is my first year thank god my girls are very healthy, but im alway's on the look out for problem's good luck..

6. Bigg Red

Oct 8, 2009
    Hope this information helps.
    1. Several different breeds; RIR, BLK Sex, Giants, Buffs Orphs, Barred Rock, Americana, Welsummer. I think that covers it (27 burds total). The majority will be 1 yr in feb, but a handful are a little older. I have never weighed my birds but they look average if that helps.

2. Their behavior appears normal. They are fine one day and they next they are sick and die. I have noticed in a few that hey appear to have trouble breathing son before they die.

3. sickness seems to only last a day or two before they die.

4. No bleeding, no truama. Just the swollen chests.

5. Even when the are sick they seem to eat and drink normal. They eat store bought crushes layer food and have been on the same diet since they began laying.

7. Poop, and little runny but nothing that has ever worried me to much.

8. Treatment, I have given them tetracycline hydrochloride in their water becuase I was told they may have cocsilliosus(????).

9.My intention. stop them from dying and prevent them from speading diseases.

10. The coop is a 10 x 10 house with several roosts, 10 nest boxes, 1 window, opening in the top for ventilation. and heat lamps. The nexts are full of cedar shavings.

7. Bigg Red

Oct 8, 2009
    Chickenjim64, my chickens do the same. The grit is there but they do not seem to want it. I have been told the same thing about free ranging and getting the grit they needed so I didn't think this was the problem. Mine were fine and healthy for the first 8 months, but for some reason the just started dying. This was the same time the weather changed, but that doesn't seem to make sense either. Hopefully someone can help.

8. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    8. Treatment, I have given them tetracycline hydrochloride in their water becuase I was told they may have cocsilliosus(????).

Do you mean coccidiosis? Tetracycline hydrochloride will not cure this...are they having bloody poops?

9. Bigg Red

Oct 8, 2009
    Yes, I just can't spell. No bloody poops. I was told it was a respitory disease and the tetracycline would/could help.

10. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:I would suggest changing from cedar shavings to pine shavings I have heard cedar shavings cause respretory problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by