My Chickens are dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jesso, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Jesso

Jesso Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    My chickens are 4 months old they very light in weight not growing good also loosing feathers there poop is a dark pink reddish in colour. Then they get weak and die. I have treated my chickens 2 months ago for 10 days it was cocidiosis. My birds where treated with amprolium. All proper cleaning was done; Birds had a nice dry barn. Why all of a sudden birds show symptoms of it again. I lost over half of my chicken, the adult birds stop laying but no symptoms. I am so sad so much lost and so many good birds. My work and money is gone. What to do I don’t know any more. ?? What can I treat them with?? It seem like the treatments never work. I lost some during the treaments and still loosing them after the treatments..???

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I'm sorry for your losses - that is very frustrating. When they were chicks, were they on medicated chick starter for the first 8 weeks? If they were, I would have expected them to have built up immunity to coccidiosis by now.

3. were you able to take a poop sample to the vet at all to be checked out?

4. bigchicken56

bigchicken56 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    My hens had somewhat of the same problem. I put them on antibiotics from the local feed store for about a week and it cleared up what ever they had. I am thinking your hens might have a different type of internal parasite. Do you have any animals such as rabbits that might be around them that could possibly transfer a parasite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by