My chickens are eating dog poop!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jgatkinsn, Oct 24, 2009.

1. jgatkinsn

jgatkinsn New Egg

Oct 24, 2009
    I have a possible problem. I noticed that my chickens will literally follow their guard dog around when he's ready to poop. They clean it up in no time, and it's like the highlight of their day. We just started this batch for egglaying, and they haven't started laying yet (maybe soon), and I wanted to know of any dangers. We also wanted to kill off some of the roosters soon for eating.

Is this safe? Is there a way to discourage them from eating the dog poop? They free range of course, but are they not getting enough to eat?

2. Abby's mom

Abby's mom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2009
    In the cabbage patch
    if my chickens were cleaning up my dogs poop i would give them an allowance [​IMG]

my only concern would be what has the dog eaten?

or if the dog is on meds like heart worm prevention

3. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    They are craving more protein. I would give them some high protein snacks like scrambled eggs.

4. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Eeeew! (Had to get that off my chest!)

You know, though, many animals eat pooh. There is still quite a bit of nutrition in there, it's not like it all gets used up "the first time through."

But, yeah, I'd worry about them picking up parasites or being affected by any meds the dog is given.

Maybe the vet would be the one to ask?

Of course, if you do, please come back and tell us what s/he said!

5. jgatkinsn

jgatkinsn New Egg

Oct 24, 2009
    Abby's mom :

if my chickens were cleaning up my dogs poop i would give them an allowance [​IMG]

my only concern would be what has the dog eaten?

or if the dog is on meds like heart worm prevention

The dog eats table scraps and dog food (Science diet).​

6. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    The best known 'expert' in the field of self-sufficiency is named John Seigmore. In one of his books, "The Self-Sufficient Life and how to Live it", he points out that just as you don't plant the same things in one spot, you also don't keep the same animal at the same place for too long or it will infect itself. Different animals have different parasites and diseases that are only harmful to itself and not to other animals. He recommends chickens be allowed to follow cows and pigs to eat what their bodies didn't use. I wouldn't worry about poop eating chickens, until they show signs of illness. As to lacking something.....idk. Just look at them and their surroundings and think like a chicken. Do they have grass, bugs, litter, lots of food, cover and clean water?

7. Abby's mom

Abby's mom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2009
    In the cabbage patch
    Quote:The dog eats table scraps and dog food (Science diet).

what i was referring to was what the dog was eating in the yard

ie...
    say a mouse that had a little bit of rat poison, not enough to kill the dog but deadly to the chicken..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by