1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

My Chickens are Eating my Turkey Eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by akmom28, Dec 10, 2013.

1. akmom28

akmom28 Hatching

Feb 24, 2013
    We had assumed since it is winter in AK that the turkeys weren't laying. But, we have found 3 eggs in the past 10 days. Then, today my husband caught my chickens eating a turkey egg. Isn't this strange behavior? Should I treat it like I do when they eat their own eggs?

Also, in the process of hatching more chickens and I don't want them to "learn" to eat eggs. Any ideas of how to find the culprits so I can get rid of them?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I'd treat it like a regular chicken egg eating problem, a found egg is a found egg if you have a mixed flock, they don't care if it is duck, turkey, chicken, guinea egg. The Learning Center has a good article on breaking/finding egg eaters. If I have one, I put a lot more fake eggs out, then go through the narrow down who is doing it list, check for egg on faces, watch them as much as I can, see if anybody has an interest in floor eggs, camera if it is a certain box etc. The BYC article has a suggestion of using food coloring in decoy egg, never tried it but sounds like an interesting idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by