MY chickens are eating their eggs!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mjckrc2, May 3, 2011.

1. mjckrc2

mjckrc2 New Egg

May 3, 2011
    Hi, I am new to the sight and new to raising my own chickens, I was hoping that someone could help me figure out what to do about my chickens, they have begun to eat their own eggs! I try to take them out as soon as they lay them but the chickens eat them immediately. So if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. Thank you!

MAtt

2. Atlchick

Atlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Grayson, GA
    [​IMG] Hi Matt! You are going to L-O-V-E this site. I've had to resort to this trick a couple of times, but it works for us. I get an egg and blow out the contents, then fill it with liquid soap, and seal the ends with candle wax. After a good mouthful of soap, the offending hen usually learns her lesson. Although it sometimes takes more than one try. I've heard of using other fowl (Ha!) ingredients like hot sauce, but I just stick with liquid soap.

Let's see if there are other suggestions......

3. KansasBoy

KansasBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    [​IMG]

Do you have oyster shell available to them? Usually they do this because they need the extra calcium, you can always bake some empty egg shells and crumble them up to offer them as well. It's no different than a cat/dog eating grass... [​IMG]

4. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    If you do choose to crumble the eggs, dry the shells on a cookie sheet in the oven first, and crush the shell small enough so that it is no-longer recognizably a chicken egg. This way the hens don't get reinforced for chicken eggs=food.

5. mjckrc2

mjckrc2 New Egg

May 3, 2011
    Well thank you guys so much! Do you think if I changed their feed to a higher calcium food that this may solve their problem, plus try the soap thing? Thank you for your help!

6. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Are you feeding them a layers feed?

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't know that you can actually get higher calcium food than layer, but you can get oyster shell for a few bucks and they will eat some and get calcium from it.

Probably the only sure-fire approach to an egg eater is a rollaway nest, and then only if they always use the nest boxes, of course.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=464610

8. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG] It's hard to stop chickens from eating their eggs once they get started. The best thing would be roll away nest boxes.

9. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    [​IMG] from NY

10. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by