my chickens are eating thier eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jfiregirlie, May 24, 2012.

1. jfiregirlie

jfiregirlie Hatching

May 16, 2012
    I have 7 hens and 2 (young) roosters. I was just given them as a gift (knowing I wanted chickens, So I wouldnt have to wait for chicks to grow up) Well... everything was good for about 2 weeks. I set them up a nice coop and run with access to the entire property. At first I was collection up to five eggs a day, very regulary, then it was 3 a day, then I found one, I havent picked up an egg in over 4 days, they all have yoke on their beaks, they have everything they could want, lots of food, lots of room. I have 4 different style nesting boxes, different sixes, high/low everything that a chicken could want. What can I do??? (Going to try the golf ball thing latter today)

2. Roosterlover5

Roosterlover5 Chirping

Feb 8, 2012
    I've heard that if you blow out an egg and put mustard in it they'll stop.Or you could try golf balls,fake easter eggs,or wooden eggs.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  3. Snowygirl

Snowygirl Songster

Jun 15, 2011
    Mirkwood

Roosterlover5 is right, those seem to work, also just check frequently for eggs. Also you could try giving them a treat of some sort
    to occupy them. I've dealt with egg eating several times before and we just used the tricks above and they stopped. Good luck! [​IMG]

4. kjxoxo1

kjxoxo1 Chirping

Oct 16, 2011
    I know you hate this as I still have this happen periodically...i have one hen who is sitting on the eggs to Im guessing protect it from the egg eater.....she stays there until I get the eggs around 4 or 5 pm. She is such a sweety...thats the only thing I can think of as to why she is on the nest and when I come she gets up and I give her grass as a treat...I used wooden eggs and it seemed to do the trick for a couple of weeks...I have 12 hens and 3 baby roos about 12-13 weeks old now. i have no idea who the culprit is. I did notice wooden eggs would get moved...one clear across the coop to the other side. This helped for a couple of weeks and then the culprit was back at it. I put out oyster shell calcium but I think i put too much as it was not as fresh after a couple of weeks so I refreshed it and that along with the hen who is watching out...I havent had one gone in about a week. Good luck as I know that is so dissapointing...I was so upset to find my eggs pecked on.

5. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Songster

Feb 18, 2011
    I found that picking up the eggs more often for a few days made the girls stop doing this. I'm pretty sure they started when their nesting box didn't have enough pine and an egg cracked. So, I also make sure that the nesting boxes are full as well.

6. Roosterlover5

Roosterlover5 Chirping

Feb 8, 2012
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: