my chickens are eatting their eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mygirls, May 30, 2008.

1. mygirls

mygirls New Egg

Apr 18, 2008
    I think it's only one of my three chickens...but she keeps eatting her eggs and the ones from another chicken! What can I do?!

2. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    I've never had this happen but I think I heard someting to put wooden or creamic eggs in and as soon as you can get your eggs.

3. mygirls

mygirls New Egg

Apr 18, 2008
    I put the chicken that is eatting the eggs out of the coop... to double check if it is her...
    She's staying close though, and the other chicken that she hangs out with, and sleeps with is watching her from inside the coop. My third chicken is in her nest and will probably lay soon so I'll be able to see if she is eatting the eggs too.

I started out getting 3 eggs a day. I assumed 1per chicken. Then went to 2eggs per day... and now, (for the last 3days) I haven't gotten any.
    I have however taken the remains of 1 egg per day out of two different nesting boxes.
    This is so frustrating!
    I will try putting a rock shaped egg into the nest and see if that helps.

4. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I've heard the same thing about wooden or ceramic "fake" eggs. I hope I don't have to deal with that in the future.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by