My chickens are fighting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kelliekevin, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Kelliekevin

Kelliekevin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    My 4 girls have been together since birth so the pecking order was established long ago, and this morning (which happens to be the coldest morning of the winter so far) my husband went out to get the eggs and said 2 of the girls were fighting in the nest box. They have never fought before so we are a little concerend. He had turned on the heat lamp for them so they could get a little warmth so I'm wondering if they were either fighting for some warmth or was it that one wanted to lay and just didn't want to be disturbed? We have never wittnesed this before, Any thoughs my fellow chicken lovers?

2. AmoPullam

AmoPullam Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2013
    One of my hens recently usurped one who was higher on the list then her, so maybe that is what is happening. Or maybe "one just wanted to lay and the other one didn't want to be disturbed." If they didn't draw blood, it probably isn't that serious.

3. Kelliekevin

Kelliekevin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    Thank you so much for your help... there was no blood and all is well. I think you were right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by