My chickens are getting ugly to my dogs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joebat, Oct 20, 2011.

1. joebat

joebat Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    I've searched a little on The Chicken Forum about chickens and dogs and mostly find horror stories of dogs exterminating a whole flock and such. I have three small dogs that are not at all aggressive to my chickens. The dogs were introduced to my chickens when the chickens were just chicks and have never had an issue. My dogs try to keep the pigeons, squirrels and doves out of the yard, they have always done that. The chickens do that too but not nearly as well. Lately, my chickens (six month old wyandottes), have started what looks like challenging my dogs. Where as before, the dogs and my hens would just give equal space and walk around each other. Now they face the dog dog head on and lower their heads, giving the dogs what I seem to take as a dirty look. Lucky my dogs yield and go around. I don't leave them much unattended but sometimes do for a short while. I was wondering what is the chicken expertise on this? Oh yeah, six months and still no EGGS!!!!!!! Great big chickens though. At least that's what everybody said. I have a pic, but can't figure out how to use it.

2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    If you don't have Roo there is always a top hen that takes on the roll. Protector of flock and top hen!!

3. joebat

joebat Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    OOOkay! That makes since. I'm going to pay closer attention and see if it's the same hen. I wish I could figure out how to post the pic of a hen birdogging my chihuahua.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Gotta see that picture. Click on uploads on the blue title bar. Browse for your photo (where it's saved on your computer) and click Submit.

5. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:That would be funny to see!!

6. 5Leepy!

5Leepy! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Austin, TX
    my 15 week old chicks have started doing something similar to my rat terrier. It started one day because one of the chicks spotted a skin tag he has on his back leg and thought it was a fly. Every since that day they chase him and try to pull it off of his leg. He's scared to death of them now and I practically have to drag him outside and protect him from the chicks when I do. [​IMG]

7. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    5Leepy! :

my 15 week old chicks have started doing something similar to my rat terrier. It started one day because one of the chicks spotted a skin tag he has on his back leg and thought it was a fly. Every since that day they chase him and try to pull it off of his leg. He's scared to death of them now and I practically have to drag him outside and protect him from the chicks when I do. [​IMG]

[​IMG] He thinks they're after him to kill him lol!​

8. marty8587

marty8587 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    It took awhile for me to trust my dogs with the chickens. At first the chickens were scared of the dogs. Now the only time there is a problem is when the chickens try to get the dogs milkbonesz while they're eating them. A quick bark and air snap puts the girls back in place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by