My Chickens are going to AA meetings.....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LindsayB, May 13, 2011.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I got a little too carried away and bought a bunch of chicken nipples from Farm Tek. They already had a 5 gal bucket with the nipples but I decided since its getting pretty hot they need some more water sources. Its actually pretty fun making these waterers! I put one of these bottles in the run and another in the coop. Even the rabbit got one!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I love those bottles, thanks for sharing! I have had so much trouble with leaky waterers, twice this year I have had ammonia fumes bother chicks, even lost a few. The dang waterers leak slowly, under the bedding and before you know it you have soaked bedding under dry bedding and then the ammonia starts accumulating. I think these are the answer, but I so worry they are not getting enough water. I am going to make one today. And as for AA, I need to go myself and try to break this poultry addiction i have, it is contagious and all my friends are getting it.

3. lotzahenz

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Did you use plastic bottles and the plastic tops? Do your nipples have the rubber gasket thing? Did you need to seal it with something? And lastly, does it drip? I love the pride on those, $.88 each. Hum, ideas.

4. alabamachick

alabamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Alabama
    " If you like pina coladas...getting caught in the chicken coop" lol sorry couldnt help myself.

5. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Yep, just the plastic bottle and top that you see. I just used a knife and spun it around to make a hole that was a bit smaller than the thread end of the nipple. As long as you don't over do it and make the hole too big it shouldn't leak. I've made six waterers so far and haven't had to use anything to seal it with. And no, it doesn't drip at all! It just drips water out when you push in or move the metal piece.

6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. lotzahenz

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Ah, a knife. I tried to use a drill on a juice jug, but the plastic was too thin. A sharp pointed knife should work then. You can always use GOOP (nontoxic) if it does get leaky on you. Thanks! I might need to use Tequila bottles as I prefer Margaritas, Senorita.

8. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    One problem I did have was the water wasn't coming out when it was hanging sideways like it is in the picture. I had to get some chain and hang it pointing straight down. I have the nipples pointing down on the 5 gal bucket too. I don't know why I didn't hang the bottle right in the first place. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by