my chickens are going to fight cancer......

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Crazy4Chicks, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    My DH's boss's wife - is a cancer surviver - she had breast cancer almost 2 years ago- during that time she had several blood transfusions and also had a lump on her kidney, she had to have cemo and radiation - lost most of her hair, but she made it through and has been cancer free ( her hair also grew back nice and thick ) well she called me to ask me to be the team captain for the shop where my DH works - they are putting together a team for the relay for life walk a thon - that is being held in March.
    Well we need a fund raiser to help raise some money - she was thinking a yard sale or something, but lately my girls have been laying more eggs than me and DH can eat - so I told her I will sell the eggs and all the money I make will go to the fund raiser. I have been getting around 8 eggs a day plus one duck egg, by March the rest of the girls that have not been laying should start laying by than - so we will be getting around 16 a day plus the duck egg.
    She is worried about me and DH not having any eggs for ourselfs - I told her not to worry about that - we will have plenty for ourself, plus how many people can say that thier chickens are going to fight cancer LOL
    also I am going to be getting my hair cut in another month or so and I donate the hair to the Locks of love - to be made into wigs for those who are battling cancer and have lost thier hair - I try to do this every summer.
    So me and my girls are going to do what we can to fight cancer !!!

Julie

2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    thats wonderful !! great way to put your chickens to use

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    How cute and what a good idea! I wanted to pass this along...recently I read in the paper about a church in OHio somewhere who was having a fund raiser...long story short, the pastor gave each parishioner $1,000.00 I think it was, and asked them to use it in a way to generate money for the church. Of course, they had to bring back more money than what they were given. Well there were a lot of interesting ways they did that but my favorite (of course) was the lady who sold two dozen eggs to each buyer, along with a framed picture of the hen who laid them. I mean, I don't think it would matter whose picture you used, as long as it's a hen...anyway, I guess they sold pretty well and I thought that was a cute idea...I may try it for our band baked goods auction this year if we have one.

4. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    That is so great:D my chickens and i go out and educate the public and young inner city kids about chickens and it always great to see them smile
    my aunt is a 4 time cancer servivor the last bout of cancer was breast they have all been different strains of cancer which is the scary part and i did the one walk for fighting cancer and also donated my hair as well so i think its a great thing you and your girls are doing and i suport you with a chear:yiipchick:yiipchick:yiipchick:yiipchick:yiipchick:yiipchick:yiipchick

5. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    When I first read your post title, I thought you meant that your chickens had cancer. [​IMG]

I think that's really nice of you and great that you can put your eggs to such a good cause. What a nice feeling!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by