My chickens are gone and I HATE it!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cyanne, Aug 18, 2008.

1. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    So, we're in the process of selling our house and buying one out in the country on acreage so we can have our very own little funny farm...

The realtor said that it would be better if our chickens were to 'go away' during the house sale process as it might put off some buyers who have weird notions about stuff like that. [​IMG]

So, this weekend, I loaded up boxes of chickens in my truck and drove them to my parents' house almost 2 hrs away. I then spent the day finishing up their temporary home and trying to make it as predator-proof as possible.

In the end, I wasn't able to make myself take them all down there, there are some that I am just too attached to and it would just kill me if I left them at my mom's and some predator got them. So I sent as many as I could with the intention of hiding the rest in their coop when people come to see the house.

The packing part was AWFUL. Normally my chickens are all very tame and I handle them daily, but they realized something was up and there was a lot of chasing and squawking to catch the ones to be taken away. Then, my favorite hen, Sheila, hopped the run fence and followed my mom and I as we carried a box of her friends away. She made the most awful sounds!

This morning was even worse because the coop and run were too quiet with NO ROOSTERS, and so few chickens. The ones I have left seem quieter than normal and nervous. Also, they didn't even eat the watermelon I gave them yesterday! [​IMG]

I am really excited about moving from our house in the burbs with the postage-stamp lawn to a new place with lots of land, but right now I am feeling so sad cuz I miss my chickies! [​IMG]

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I feel for ya! It is a terrible, lonely feeling, especially not to hear any crowing. I've been in your shoes and it ain't fun. However, at least you have something really GREAT to look forward to and, if it makes you feel any better, chickens have a short memory and the girls staying with you will soon start to go about their business and forget all about their "sisters". Good luck selling your house!

3. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Hooray for moving out of the burbs! We live in the burbs too... I'd love to move out, but I don't think that will happen in the near future! It must be so weird to have such quiet!! Hopefully your sale will happen quickly and you'll be reunited with your feathered friends soon!! [​IMG]

4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Yes, congrats on moving. I'm sorry you have to go through this, but I assume when the move is over you will all be much happier [​IMG]

5. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Oh yeah, we are REALLY looking forward to moving. We've got a couple of prospective houses we are looking at right now, one has over 11 acres! That's a lot of room for chickens! [​IMG]

For the last 9 yrs we've been living in the burbs, side-by-side with neighbors all around. It's crappy to have to listen to people's dogs barking day and night and their kids screaming next door, but not be able to have a rooster because people will object to the noise. [​IMG]

I'm just going to really miss my chickens while we wait for everything to be done. They were helping me hold onto my sanity by providing much-needed stress relief! I generally spend time with them every morning and evening, just sitting and watching them peck in the yard or laughing over their silly antics when I feed them treats.

Now, I still have some chickens, but they are mostly the little shy ones that I was afraid would get hurt if I left them at my mom's. So, with them hiding in the bushes all the time it's like I don't have any chickens at all!

I miss my sweet, cuddly little RIR girls, and the plump blonde BO's that always foraged together in a group. I especially miss the morning crowing from my silkie and cochin roos that all just started learning to crow like big boys. [​IMG]

6. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    [​IMG] It'll be okay and just think what a palace they'll think they're in once you get to the country!!!

7. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    That would be really hard. Visit them as often as you can. [​IMG] That will make you feel better. Good luck with your house sale and move! I an trying to sell a house I own in a different town and it really blows my mind what realotors and prospective buyers expect from a seller! Grit your teeth and hang in there! [​IMG]

8. oandrea

oandrea Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2008
    DFW, Texas
    I would be very sad too... I have had my girls less than a month and I am very attached already.
    We want to sell next year and I won't be moving my girls to do it. The person who buys my house will need to be someone special... I gave birth to 2 of my own children and a surrogate baby in this house... so if they can accept my girls being in their future back yard then they will love this home as much as I do and will deserve to buy it from us [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by