my chickens are hopping the fence

RAWR

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
who wants to know?
umm...my chickens are hopping the fence. last night we lost a buff orp because she like, jumped the fence and ran away. it got down to 20-40 degrise(sp?) last night. ): how can we help this? i dont want to lose any more of my birds. is it wing clipping time?
also, our Australorps, and White Orps dont try and get out, but the others jump up there and stuff
PLEASE help )):

Can you cover the yard area with chicken wire to prevent them from jumping out? We have 2 pens at our house, 1 is completely covered with chicken wire and during the winter we cover it with a tarp so the girls can have someplace to go with out snow. The other pens in open and they jump out all the time a free range around the yard, they always come back though. Is free ranging not an option for you?

I'd suggest to clip the wings! I clipped the wings on my birds but 4 (of 13) still manage to get out regularly, sometimes more get out but it's usually just the 4. I don't have to worry about it where I am because they are still on my property, but I want them to stay in. Anyway, with a heavy breed like BO you likely won't have them still flying after clipping. Just be sure that there isn't anything that will give them a boost up to the fence. I think the reason mine are getting out is because in the middle of the run (a BIG circle) is a table and on top of it is the nest box so to the top of the nest box is about 3 or so feet and with that they are able to clear the 6' fence easily (though I've seen them do it from the ground). So as long as there aren't any branches or buildings that they can easily get to they should stay well contained.

We covered one of the pens, shorter fence, with bird netting. I tied a few sparkly ribbons around it to let all of the birds, inside and out to see the mesh...
good luck finding your buff orp...

ok, thank you all sooo much :)
and i found my buff orp xD shes ok, just cold, tired and hungry
tongue.png

so glad you found your girl! I have a very large run that my DH recently had fenced with 6' chain link. The goofy guineas and even some of my heavy breed girls (Australorp and Buff Orpington) have gotten out over it.
hmm.png
wing clipping time, and next I'll be covering the run. We had just finished covering the original run in Dec. 08 and then in Jan. 09 we had the worst ice storm in Ky. history, which brought down every bit of the run cover.
hit.gif
All that hard work & material gone.
he.gif
I may have to do it in stages, but I'll eventually get this one completely covered too.

My 4 foot fence increased to 6-7 feet, then got a screen roof too. The upper fence is light duty to keep them in with bamboo and low cost chicken wire and net. I want them to fly to avoid preditors better when free-ranging.

I've had that happen also...glad you found your girl.
I strung replacement volleyball net all along the side of the yard so Obelisk couldn't go over...also check to see if they're not sneaking out underneath the fence too because something else might've dug in...

Not having her wings clipped saved Obelisk from being killed by a loose dog, so I'd rather have the netting. JMO.

Back
Top Bottom