1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens are house (coop) broken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rolffamily, May 7, 2011.

1. rolffamily

rolffamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I am just finishing day 10 where my chickens (5 GLW) have not dropped one poop, except for under the roost bar at night, in the coop. They have a run and I let them free range in the evening when I get home from work. Even when they go into the nest boxes they do not poop first. I am amazed. Does anyone else get spoiled like this?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Nope, You are blessed. Count your blessings!

3. jollyscrapmom

jollyscrapmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    How did you manage that miracle?? I'd love to have poop-free nesting boxes so our eggs are cleaner!

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I have clean chickens too! Mine only really poo in the coop at night when they're sleeping. No pooping the nest box either! [​IMG] We are blessed! haha

5. lebentier

lebentier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SoCal
    mine also only poop in the run or under the roosts

6. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I also only have 3...so that makes a BIG difference.

7. rolffamily

rolffamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I had read somewhere on this website that your nest boxes should be at a height where the chicken can not stand up and then they won't poop. Ours are 8 1/2" high inside.

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Mine never have pooped in the nest box and they lay in open topped milk crates. I thought that was normal. [​IMG]

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If you don't use a dropping board, and you like a clean coop (sounds like you do...lol), ADD one - you'll love it.
    It's a rare event when I find poop in the bedding in my coop in spring, summer, and fall. But wait for winter [​IMG] The bedding DOES get pooped up in winter, as my flock spends quite a bit of time inside (by choice, as my pop door is opened every morning)...

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    The only place my hens don't poop is in their nest boxes. Hope this doesn't jinx's me.LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by