my chickens are jeelous of the dog....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cluckin'Crazy4them, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Cluckin'Crazy4them

Cluckin'Crazy4them Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    NW Oregon
    We started to keep the dog.dish outside since our toddler has shown too much interest in it. But now the chickens are after it. They only manage to get a couple kibbles here and there and The dog doesn't seem to mind at all, I think she even likes having someone to eat with, but im concerned that it will give them an impacted crop. I chase them away and they seem rather resentful now. They won't come near me! Is a little dog food okay? Is it unhealthy? It's IAMS, so it's meat, meat, and then corn. Does anyone have any knowledge to calm my worried mind?

2. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I give mine dog food all the time, as a treat. It won't hurt them. I soak it in water before though, to make sure it doesn't expand in their crop.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It shouldn't hurt the hens, but I wouldn't feed my dog any food with corn in it. Dogs can not digest corn.

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

they wiil be fine. [​IMG]

5. Cluckin'Crazy4them

Cluckin'Crazy4them Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Just noticed how I spelled jealous in the title... Whoops [​IMG]
    I am relieved that it won't harm them! I underestimate just how much variety of foods chickens can eat! If I ever give them as treats I will definitely soften it! Good pointer! And, where I shop, Iams is the most affordable food that isn't pure corn unless I want to break the bank! Our dog gets lots of veggies, eggs, fruit, and cereal (thanks to the toddler) lol
    Thanks guys for the piece of mind!

6. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Ha. My chickens come running when I head out to the pen with the feed for the one horse that eats outside. They gather around her and wait for anything to drop and pounce on it. They'd be in her pan eating with her, if she'd let them!

7. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Heck....my wife is jealous of my dog. [​IMG]

8. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    I had to stop feeding my cats on the porch rail because the chickens made hogs of themselves. The cats were very polite in letting the chickens eat first - but what a mess - and who can afford that much catfood?

I suspect you will need to find a different solution for your dog. Likely, your child would eat far less dogfood than the chickens. [​IMG]

9. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    That is funny. My dog is jealous of my chickens! My mastiff will push her way into the run and take the chickens treat bowl and carry it to a different part of the yard and eat it. If I throw a tomato out in the yard for the chickens to eat she will chase it and eat it herself. I give the chickens dog food and they love it. I do soak it in water to soften it. Chickens are omnivores and they eat everything. From what I read, it is one of the reasons they don't have feathers on their face. My dog is really good with the chickens, but she takes their food. I like giving the girls treats, but I have to do it on the sly so the dog doesn't see! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by