1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MY CHICKENS ARE KILLING EACH OTHER!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HunterUSArmy, Aug 4, 2014.

1. HunterUSArmy

HunterUSArmy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    South West Georgia
    Why are my chickens killing and eating each other there about 12 Weeks old and they all grew up together

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    There's a lot of things to check over. How much space do you have? Is there room for them to get away from each other? Do you ever let them free range? What kind of feed are they getting? Is there enough feed and water stations for any low on the totem pole?

3. HunterUSArmy

Jul 2, 2014
    South West Georgia
    Plenty of space ide say twelve foot by six foot plenty of scratch and grower feed plenty of water had five hens down to three now

4. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    What kind of set up do you have? Is it wire or some kind of bedding?

5. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Also, what breed of chickens do you have and did you buy them sexed?

6. HunterUSArmy

Jul 2, 2014
    South West Georgia
    Barred rock and rir all hens and they sleep in a box instead of on their perch could that be where they are overcrowded and getting aggravated

7. Summertime7921

Summertime7921 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2014
    Did you see them fighting? Is it possible they are dying of an illness and then getting eaten?

8. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    It's a possibility. At night you could try physically setting them on the perch. I've had to do it with all my young ones for a few days. After that they usually get the hint and find their place. What do you use for roosts? (I doubt thats really an issue just covering everything)

9. HunterUSArmy

Jul 2, 2014
    South West Georgia
    Haven't seen them fighting just finding the body's with breast eaten out..As for roost I have the typical about two feet off ground small boards plenty of room..

10. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Are you sure they're killing/eating each other and you don't have a sneaky predator? Have you seen blood on their beaks and feet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by