My Chickens are killing eachother...help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sking2010, May 9, 2016.

1. sking2010

sking2010 New Egg

May 9, 2016
    I have 9 chickens I started out with 13, 4 of them were killed by my Rhode Island reds I have 1 big old meat chicken I forgot what its called 3 Reds, 4 pullets and 1 silkie bantam. My Reds are randomly going around selecting a chicken and pecking it to death and I cant figure out why. They have plenty of room and I got them all at the same time so its not like they are picking on new additions. Could it be because they are different breeds trying to live together? I cant figure it out. I dont want to de-beak them or anything of the sort, does anyone have any suggestions? Or explanations to why they are so nasty?

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Well first seperate them. If you know the culprits put them in chicken jail. I do not know why they are acting up but I doubt they will stop unless you make them. It may come to you needing to cull your offenders.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. There could be a number of reasons why this is happening and I'd suggest posting on the "flock management" forum for further feedback and suggestions.

All the best
    CT

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you know who the offenders are, I think you need to cull them. Then get a breed that isn't so aggressive.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree.

6. sking2010

sking2010 New Egg

May 9, 2016
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. I separated my chickens, and so far so good. But my meat chicken has a pretty bad wound right next to his leg. The other chickens literally pecked a hole in his body, probably about 6 or 7cm in diameter. There is no skin all I see is the muscle tissue, theres no way that new skin will form to cover the hole. Hes been doing well it seems hes active and eating and has the demeanor he has always had but what should i do about it? I really dont want to butcher him; I got him to eat but after raising him I fell in love with him and he has a neat personality. I cleaned it out when it was fresh to try and prevent infection but keeping a chicken spotless is impossible and I dont want to keep putting stuff in there keeping it moist because its trying to scab. So are chickens as resilient as people say they are? Do you think he can pull through or is it cruel for me to leave him the way he is?

7. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Yes he really can pull through just fine. Is he with your other birds, the non offenders? Chickens will continue to Peck at a wound, anything red, and reopen the wound. If he is seperate, some neosporin, without pain reliever, will help. You can also go to the feed store and get some wound care cream there. They make one wound care cream that dyes the wound blue.
    Do your best to keep it clean until it seals and watch him for infection. But chickens can heal from alot.

8. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    We're your Road Island Reds just killing meat birds? Or were they layers?

9. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Some good advice so far. They really will peck at a sore that is open and red. Do separate them. Good luck!

10. sking2010

sking2010 New Egg

May 9, 2016
    I think they are just meat chickens theyre called cornish rocks. But my reds are just picking on anyone they can, so far they get along with the pullets so I have them in the coop with each other, but I caught them messing with my silkie bantam this morning they had her feet all tore up so i just have her and my other beat up chicken running free range together. Ive been watching them and I think I know who is the nasty one starting all the bullying, I just wish I could tell if they are hens or roosters, I call some of them he or she but they are all 2 months old and I cant tell the difference yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by