My Chickens are killing eachother...help!

OK. I had Cornish Cross too. It was late fall so I figured I could coop them together in my huge barn. Plenty of space, two seperate food and water not within site, and I let them out on good days. My Barr Rocks just about killed my Cornish Cross. I think the larger meat birds are just so noticeably slower and less agile that they cannot get free from the lighter faster birds. So the hen pecking becomes over violent.
I do not know what to tell you. We seperate and eventually processed the Cornish Cross and my Barr Rock has since happily accepted two Easter Eggers without incident.
I know that isn't the solution you were looking for. But at least you know why it is happening.

I guess they are all different with different personalities. I had a flock of chickens when I was younger and I never had this problem they were mostly reds and they were great chickens. The 3 reds I have now are just bullies I think the one out of the 3 is a hen and shes the nasty one she starts pecking at one of them then the rest join in. Shes to skinny to eat her and I dont want to just kill her out of cold blood so im going to try and do something else with her and then I think the rest will be fine together. The only way I can keep them separated right now is by letting the 2 run free range but I live on a creek bank so I have a whole mess of mink fox and coyote that come passing through all the time so I know I cant keep that up if I want them to live.

That's wild, my RIRs are the biggest chickens out of my flock (no pun intended, but they are literally afraid of EVERYTHING). They hide from flies.

I've had a few different lines of RIR's in the past. And, yes, I've had some scaredy cats! The last hen I had..not! She was a stinker. Didn't hurt the others, guess she was just the head of the flock..but she would scream at me if I showed up at the nest box while she was in there..like no other. I mean, you would have thought she was broody, but I've never even had a broody hen scream at me like she did. She wasn't afraid of anything. Really didn't hurt any other birds, but she acted like she was all that. :p

Back
Top Bottom