My Chickens are laying eggs in wired places.. in Horse Stalls and Feeders in the barn.. HELPPPP...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Redlandchicks, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Redlandchicks

Redlandchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2014
    Hi everyone. I have 1 BO, 2RIR, 2 Americaunas, and 1 BR all about 6 months old not all laying yet.

Backgroud. have 2 acres, and large 16 stall barn. Chickens have a large 15x15 coop, which is at the far end of the property. I originally had 16 chicks, I started leaving them in coop over night at 4 months, and found 10 dead after a week...something was eating them.. so i made a mini coop closer to the house. Now they are are loose all day and and come back to roost at night in a tree above the mini coop close to the house...They started laying to rest in a spot near the barn during the day,..so made a couple nest boxes there so they can lay comfortable.. but they dont use them..no they rest in the large chix coop out back..

One of my RIR started laying in a horse feeder in a stall, she lays an egg after horse eats breakfast, also have the 1 Buff Orp, laying in a corner floor of that same stall.
    And I have my only Barred Rock laying in the stall next door in the floor corner. All stalls have horses in them, sometimes I find a broken eggs, prob from the nosy horse playing with the egg......

They just started laying within the past week or so..can I move them to lay in the coop or the baskets I made for them...is that smart to move them when they first start to lay.. will they stop laying... and if i should how to i go about moving them...

* I tried putting the new eggs in the nest boxes and brought hens to lay but they leave and go back to barn.. should I just bring eggs to large coop and lock them in all day, and let them out at night to roost by the house..[​IMG]I put some fake eggs in nest boxes hoping they would lay there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have attached some pictures..

2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Lock them in the coop for a few days till they starts laying were they should :)

3. Redlandchicks

Sep 3, 2014
    Thats what im thinking.. do i let them out at night to roost by the house..and lock them back up in the morning...scared something will try to eat them at night...

4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Secure the coop so it is predator proof and have them sleep in the coop. I personnel wouldn't let my hens sleeping outside and if you have had a predator problem its most likely still out there.

5. Redlandchicks

Sep 3, 2014
    ok thxs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by