My Chickens are laying eggs in wired places.. in Horse Stalls and Feeders in the barn.. HELPPPP...

Redlandchicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 3, 2014
Hi everyone. I have 1 BO, 2RIR, 2 Americaunas, and 1 BR all about 6 months old not all laying yet.

Backgroud. have 2 acres, and large 16 stall barn. Chickens have a large 15x15 coop, which is at the far end of the property. I originally had 16 chicks, I started leaving them in coop over night at 4 months, and found 10 dead after a week...something was eating them.. so i made a mini coop closer to the house. Now they are are loose all day and and come back to roost at night in a tree above the mini coop close to the house...They started laying to rest in a spot near the barn during the day,..so made a couple nest boxes there so they can lay comfortable.. but they dont use them..no they rest in the large chix coop out back..

One of my RIR started laying in a horse feeder in a stall, she lays an egg after horse eats breakfast, also have the 1 Buff Orp, laying in a corner floor of that same stall.
And I have my only Barred Rock laying in the stall next door in the floor corner. All stalls have horses in them, sometimes I find a broken eggs, prob from the nosy horse playing with the egg......

They just started laying within the past week or so..can I move them to lay in the coop or the baskets I made for them...is that smart to move them when they first start to lay.. will they stop laying... and if i should how to i go about moving them...

* I tried putting the new eggs in the nest boxes and brought hens to lay but they leave and go back to barn.. should I just bring eggs to large coop and lock them in all day, and let them out at night to roost by the house.. I put some fake eggs in nest boxes hoping they would lay there

I have attached some pictures..

Redlandchicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 3, 2014
Thats what im thinking.. do i let them out at night to roost by the house..and lock them back up in the morning...scared something will try to eat them at night...

familyfarm1

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 9, 2013
Northern Virginia
Secure the coop so it is predator proof and have them sleep in the coop. I personnel wouldn't let my hens sleeping outside and if you have had a predator problem its most likely still out there.

Top Bottom