1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

My chickens are limping! Possible Bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GrantKazSpaz, Aug 19, 2018.

1. GrantKazSpaz

GrantKazSpaz Chirping

Jul 13, 2018
    So yesterday I started noticing that one of my Barred Plymouth Rock hens was holding her foot off the ground and limp-running whenever she ran somewhere. I didn’t think much of it until I saw a second Barred Plymouth Rock hen doing the same thing. I did some research and found out that there is one type of infection, called Bumblefoot, that lined up with these symptoms. I read that you can tell if a chicken has Bumblefoot by spots on their feet. So I went out to my hens, picked the limping ones up, and took pictures of their feet to see if I could see any of those spots. I couldn’t find any in the pictures, but I’m not sure if I missed anything. It has rained a lot recently and it’s muddy so the chickens feet were quite dirty. I’ll post the pictures of the soles of their feet, along with some suspicious spots I found on them below. Any information would be helpful. I’m really worried about them.

Hen #1
    upload_2018-8-19_8-46-33.jpeg upload_2018-8-19_8-46-47.jpeg upload_2018-8-19_8-47-40.jpeg upload_2018-8-19_8-47-54.jpeg upload_2018-8-19_8-48-4.jpeg upload_2018-8-19_8-48-13.jpeg

Hen #2
    upload_2018-8-19_8-48-46.jpeg upload_2018-8-19_8-49-27.jpeg upload_2018-8-19_8-49-48.jpeg upload_2018-8-19_8-50-8.jpeg upload_2018-8-19_8-50-28.jpeg upload_2018-8-19_8-50-48.jpeg

Attached Files:

to BarbsGirls and True Patriot like this.
  2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Marek's and gout might also cause limping... how old are your ladies? I think I can see some parasite feather damage.. but can confirm by looking at other pics along with age.

How many other birds have ya got? Any recent additions? What are ya feeding including treats and supplements? Feel any warm spots on any of their legs or feet?

:fl

3. GrantKazSpaz

GrantKazSpaz Chirping

Jul 13, 2018
    I haven’t felt their legs and feet yet. I haven’t introduced any new birds since they were born. What is Marek’s. My girls are around 14 weeks old. I’m feeding them 20% chicken starter feed, and I have them scrambled eggs for the first time two days ago. I have 7 other birds, all the same age.

4. GrantKazSpaz

GrantKazSpaz Chirping

Jul 13, 2018
    Here are some pics of the affected girls.
    upload_2018-8-19_11-44-31.jpeg upload_2018-8-19_11-44-41.jpeg upload_2018-8-19_11-44-52.jpeg upload_2018-8-19_11-45-9.jpeg

5. EggSighted4Life

OK, your feather damage doesn't look too bad. Feed sounds good. I would consider treating but you got bigger issues right now...

Where did your gals come from? I can only presume they were not vaccinated against Marek's since you aren't sure what it is... and unfortunately THIS is the right age for it to rear it's ugly head... What is your location? Adding it to your profile will help people make more accurate suggestions without having to ask first. :)

According to my state vet, Marek's is in EVERY poultry environment. Here is the most accurate info I know of... but I am NOT jumping to conclusions just yet... First symptom is often limping with no other signs. Many people will treat for vitamin E deficit in the hopes that's what it is. If you have NO reason (like excessive treats) for a deficit to be suspect I wouldn't waste time with that. Two gals starting to limp at the same time is suspect not of injury. :hmm

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Watch to see if they are getting worse or other flock members start picking on them. Chickens are prey animals and will hide ANY weakness just as long as they possibly can.

Are you able to post a video using youtube or vimeo? :fl

rebrascora and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  6. GrantKazSpaz

GrantKazSpaz Chirping

Jul 13, 2018
    They come from a hatchery. I got them when they were 1 day old. I live in Waynesville, Ohio. What do you want a video of? I just quarantined the two girls because it said that Marek’s was very contagious. Should I take them to a vet to get them tested? We are only in the first symptom so if it is Marek’s and we catch it early, will the vet be able to treat them?

to BarbsGirls likes this.
  7. EggSighted4Life

Marek's isn't nearly as scary as it sounds. The vet can't test for it. Quarantine is a fantastic idea!

to BarbsGirls and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  8. EggSighted4Life

Also... no, it isn't treatable... some will live and others won't.

If it is Marek's... all of your birds have already been exposed at LEAST 3 weeks ago... however quarantine will help to limit the amount of virus that is being shed among the rest of the flock.... IF that's it.

to BarbsGirls and rebrascora like this.
  9. GrantKazSpaz

GrantKazSpaz Chirping

Jul 13, 2018
    Ok

10. GrantKazSpaz

GrantKazSpaz Chirping

Jul 13, 2018
    Would other signs be noticeable at this stage? Or would it just be the limping?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: