1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my chickens are losing feathers around their neck!?!?!?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 00Tolley00, Nov 28, 2014.

1. 00Tolley00

00Tolley00 New Egg

Jul 1, 2014
    i have a speckled Sussex hen and rooster in a separate pen from the rest of mine and only one of each. my hen has lost feathers all around the back of her neck. it rained a few days ago and got really cold that night, could that be what it is? will they grow back? just really worried!!!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like the work of an over amorous Rooster. A rooster can handle 10 hens, yours has just one. That poor girl can end up overbred to the point of damage and even death. Either the rooster has to leave or you have to get another 9 hens or so to even the score. If you don't need fertile eggs for hatching, there really is no reason to have a roo. Hens will still lay eggs (tho NOT fertile) and are usually much happier without one.

Her feathers will grow back ONCE the rooster stops pulling them out (they grab the hen during mating). BTW Welcome to the flock.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I agree with Drumstick Diva here, it is very possible the rooster is causing all this damage. 1 rooster to 8 to 10 hens is the proper ratio. Roosters can do great bodily harm with over mating one or two hens. Molting and aggression can also cause loss of feathers. I hope you can get down to the bottom of this soon!

4. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    The hen will loose back feathers also. I had it happen to my RIReds, had 15 hens, picked up four young cockerels so we could hatch out more, was planning on only keeping one roo. Didnt take long the poor hens looked awful. I have one wellsummer roo now, and eight hens, differnt breeds, he treats the ladies good, and hes freindly with our kids too.

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you joined us.

You already have very good responses from those more experienced than I. But it does seem that if the roo were responsible then there should be some lost from her back as well if it's a mating thing. It could be a molt and if so, you should see pin feathers coming in the area of loss and start to see other areas of feather loss. It could be feather picking of the roo on the hen. I would check for signs of molting and try to observe their activity from a distance..

Good luck figuring this out.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

You've received some good advice already!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! The loss of feathers could be from the rooster, or, she could be molting.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Chickens who molt usually start at the neck...

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by