My chickens are masochists and wish to be cooked.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HoneyNBenNKids, Jul 7, 2011.

1. HoneyNBenNKids

HoneyNBenNKids Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    I have 5-6 week old chicks, we started out with 300 and after yesterday and today we're down to about 285-90?....

We moved them yesterday out of the brooder (garage) and into their coop. We fenced in the back with electric fencing but could only do a wee bit as our local TS apparently doesn't think anyone would ever want more than a half mile of wire. Anyways, we decided a little is better than the garage so...electric fence up and we also added deer netting to the inside to keep them from going out of the pen. There is a HUGE tree providing shade, 2 reflective tarps (a 19 by 30 and a 11 by 15 or 19 with reflection up), 5 5 gallon waterers, one 10 ft length of gutter that is closed and sealed so it's also a waterer. (I worry they'll dehydrate so...extra water.) Their feed is also on 2 10ft lengths of gutter. Everyone can eat and drink. There's shade, protection, grass, wind....but those *&%$ birds WON'T LEAVE THE COOP!!!!

We've lost 10!!!! today!! They're crowding into corners and squishing each other, they're panting, they're dying ...Until yesterday I'd only lost a few birds in 5+ weeks!!! Now, 10 in TWO DAYS?!?!?!?!

My oldest and I went out and started putting them outside and they'd still try to get back in. They'd come in as fast as we were tossing/pushing them out. Finally after I realized they're coming RIGHT BACK IN I covered the doorway with a wire shelf. They were still trying to come in and would stick their little necks through the wires...I'm starting to HATE the Cornish Rocks. I think snapping necks is mean but there is a part of me that is considering snapping their dumb necks. They trample my little boys and girls as they're TWICE the size of the others...ERRRR.

Anyways, I had to vent and wondered if anyone has any ideas. I've sprayed them with a misty hose, added a fan, they're currently locked out of the coop (it was 105 in that building AND they REFUSED to go outside where it's 90...15 DEGREES COOLER!!!) I went and bought an attic exhaust thingy to pull more air out. There are already air inlet/vents and such but I'm hoping this will cool things down more.

WHY are they refusing to leave?!? I even put a waterer in the coop earlier today at the door in the hopes of luring them outside...they refused. They wouldn't come out to eat...just baked in that coop.

And, to make things worse, I ran over a little buff brahma girl that was hiding behind my tire yesterday and my girls saw it. It was horrible. Lesson learned...never drive your van out into the field. And yes, we did shoo everyone out from under it ....or so we thought. I honked repeatedly, even revved the engine and we used 1x2s to swish the grass and such underneath to check before moving and nothing... I and my girls are so in love with those little brahmas. They call them cowgirls cause their leg feathers remind them of chaps.

My questions: Does anyone have an idea why they won't leave? Oh...and no dogs so no barking/etc but a kitten came to visit this morning but his butt was shocked by the electric fence and I don't think he'll be back. I've tried sprinkling their food...calling for them (they'd come to 'BABIES!!!' but...not now.) Oh...and yesterday when we put them in the coop and yard...they were normal and moseying around. They're eating and walking and drinking and such but they seem so tired. Does anyone have any ideas? And, is it ok to lock them out of their coop for the daytime? I'd appreciate some advice as I'm lost and I've done everything but frozen soda bottles because we don't drink soda.

Honey

2. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    What about milk jugs rinsed out and refilled with water? Orange juice containers work too. Wish I could help on the rest but I am a newbie and have no idea! Good luck!

3. HoneyNBenNKids

HoneyNBenNKids Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    We get our milk from a raw milk farmer and we get it in glass but I never thought about oj! Thanks!

I found it so weird that all these people we see drinking soda were without soda bottles when I called. I bet they'd have milk jugs too as they buy it from the store. Again, thanks so much!!!

Honey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by