my chickens are masters of escape!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kesta, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    ok, last night one of my chicks (held in a secure dog pen with blanket covering open top)escaped!she was behind our big green toolbox and i caught her pretty easily. around the same time one of my hens escaped from the coop, we still dont know how she did it so, i guess we have to figure that out. has anyone else had a houdini chicken like these?

2. Alpha Roo

Alpha Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Apple Valley, CA
    I have one that gets out, as soon as she's out, she wants back in LOL I guess she's just checking if the grass is really greener.

3. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    My chickens range in a fenced acre around my house. One of my BR hens flies over the fence and feasts in the front yard 2-3 times a day. Lately she has been joined by another BR and a BA hen. I figure if they can fly over, they can fly back. When I count them at night in the coop they are always all there. I suppose some day I'll be missing some, but I guess that's the price I'll pay for letting them do their thing. BTW. I live on 10 acres of woods at the end of a sparsely populated private dirt lane, so traffic & neighbors aren't really a concern; but woodland predators certainly are!

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    they probably learned it from mine. they are bad influences.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by