My chickens are Mice assasins! Graphic warning

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 907chicken, Apr 16, 2011.

1. 907chicken

907chicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    Eagle River, Alaska
    While cleaning around the coop today, I knocked over a wood pile and out tumbled about 4 mice I think. Holy cow, the chickens went beserk and nailed 2 of them. I'm not sure if they ate them or not. they sure were trying to.
    Well I guess thats one more pest that chickens take care of !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Yeah, they ate 'em. Kinda cool in a way/kinda gross in the other.

3. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Wow, I never realized chickens were meat eaters... interesting.

4. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I had a chicken eat a mouse, then I wormed the chickens! [​IMG]

5. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:really? Chickens LOVE worms and bugs and mice! and they will eat other animals if they are able to.

6. paramedic07

paramedic07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Bergman, AR
    not surprised but entertaining none the less. i'd only worry about them getting diseases from the mice. small chance that is.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  7. cgtara3

cgtara3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Traverse City, MI
    Imagine if we were the size of a mouse! [​IMG] We wouldn't be around very long with any chickens around. We would be a tasty snack to them.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I use RatZapper electronic mice traps; they use batteries and deliver an electric shock to the mouse when it touches the metal plate in the back of the squared off "tube." Kills them instantly, without even a squeak. There's a red light on the top of the trap which begins to blink when it's made a kill.

I pick up the unit and walk outside, then dump the mouse carcass out for the chickens. Protein. Mice killed without pesticides, or any possible maiming from snap traps.

9. 907chicken

907chicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Okay, update!! I went back outside and noticed that now my dog was digging out there where the wood pile was. I walked over there and sure enough a mouse came hopping out. One of the chickens went after but they didnt catch it. Anyway dog is still digging then uncovers a pile of little baby ones. I holler for the chickens and then a feeding frenzy ensued. After they got the babies, mice just kept pouring out of that hole. I bet 12 came out there I watched my big cochin hen eat 4 babies and 3 adults today!

10. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    sounds like your chickens are better then my cats. I'm going to tell the cats that, maybe that will get their butts in gear. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by