My chickens are not laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by woodlandblaze, Nov 29, 2012.

1. woodlandblaze

woodlandblaze Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    Washington
    I am getting very frustrated! I have 21 chickens, some last years hatch, some this years. Most are red sex links with a few australorps and easter eggers. I was getting about 10 eggs a day for a while, and looking forward to getting more like 15-18/day but it has just stopped. I am lucky if I get 1 egg a day now. I have done everything I can think of.
    • light in the coop on a timer for 14 hours of light
    • Keep the coop clean
    • Fresh water in all waterers
    • Constant access to clean fresh layer feed
    • Oyster shell and grit free access
    • They have a large pen with grass
    • De-wormed them all

etc.

I have searched the pen several times a day in addition to the coop for eggs and still nothing. I just don't know what to do now. They seem happy and healthy, other than no eggs from my supposed to be great egg layers.

I can't afford to keep these guys if they aren't going to produce any eggs. They did great last year. I don't know what happened.

Any additional tips that are not in the "standard" list of trouble shooting?

2. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    Are they molting? My last years hatch started molting in late Sept early Oct. From your name do you happen to live in Woodland?

3. woodlandblaze

Apr 15, 2012
    Washington
    The older ones might be. I know a few of them were molting this summer, but the 8 month old ones shouldn't be. I should still be getting at least 9/day. I am about ready to start eating them. GRRRRRR!
    No, I am not in Woodland. I am near Olympia.

4. woodlandblaze

Apr 15, 2012
    Washington
    Oh, and I did construct roll out nest boxes so that I could rule out egg eating. I did get 3 eggs today in the nest box, but still not what I need. Again, grrrr.[​IMG]

5. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    I had one of my SS molt in the spring and she was only 8.5 months. Maybe its the weather? I know its been really windy and rainy down here. Could there be a predator that might have scared them? I am just throwing out ideas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by