My chickens are pecking the new one!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ameliachickens, Sep 28, 2015.

1. ameliachickens

ameliachickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2015
    I have recently got two new bantam silkie chickens and I want to add them to my 2 sex-link chickens, 1 Rhode island red rooster and 1 lemon leghorn orpington. 1 of my sex-link is broody, so she is not a problem. My other sex-link is pecking on the two new silkies when ever I put them in the run. The rooster joins in on pecking the silkies when the sex-link pecks them. I have tried putting up distractions, and even putting the silkies in a makeshift area next to my regular hens run so they could see eachother but not get to eachother. But I cant have two seperate runs for them becauseI am constantly traveling. Does anybody have any suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Chicken society can be brutal. Established birds pick on new/smaller birds. Silkies and bantams generally do well with large birds if they are raised together. Because of their smaller size, gentle temperments, and diminished vision it can be very difficult to add silkies to an established flock. Provide hiding places, areas which are designed so that the silkies can enter but the large birds can not. Provide feed and water in these protected areas, and hopefully time will solve your problem.

1 person likes this.
  3. ameliachickens

Sep 28, 2015
    Thanks

4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You've received great advice from sourland so I'll just say hello & good luck!

5. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    I had the same issue a while back and ended up having to rehome a particularly aggressive hen who would viciously attack my silkies, even after several weeks of them being penned up inside the main coop. Silkies look so different that they really attract aggressive attention. I had to separate another aggressive hen after integrating them, for several days, because she was trying to keep them away from the food and waterers. After about 10 days of her being separated, she is much better and only goes after them if they get in her space.

Good luck!

6. ArashiZInazuma

ArashiZInazuma New Egg

Sep 28, 2015
    Hello Amelia!~ This is London~ Just wanted to say hi...! Barred Rocks are BEAUTIFUL!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. ameliachickens

Sep 28, 2015
    Any other suggestions?

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yes, you can try pinless peepers on ALL the attackers. If prevents birds from seeing straight ahead, so their aim is off. I would imagine while they wear them they don't have thoughts about doing anything else - except getting them off. Put" pinless peepers" in the search box so you can check them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by