My chickens are plucking and itching.. whats wrong? homemade mixtures?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickenMama49, Aug 22, 2011.

1. ChickenMama49

ChickenMama49 New Egg

Jun 12, 2010
    My Speckled Sussex is itching and plucking her own feathers.... i heard of mites, lice but never really considered it ... my other chickens itch but not as bad as her.. Is there anything homemade that i can use on them directly?.. all option will be helpful.. [​IMG] thanks

2. Kaelinstorm

Kaelinstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Lampasas
    Do they free range to where they can dust bath and sun bathe? It helps keep the mite population down. My grandfather swore by throwing some soot out for them... Honestly dont know if thats all that healthy for the chickens lungs but *shrug* I just took mine in to the vet (expensive though) and got an Ivomec solution, started allowing the bird to free range for a little time per day and used an all natural spray from TSC in its enclosure. So far so good.

3. ChickenMama49

ChickenMama49 New Egg

Jun 12, 2010
    What was the all natural solution that you used?... was it the stuff from the vet?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Use sevin dust, redust them in 10 days. Same with the inside of their house.
    [​IMG]

5. ChickenMama49

ChickenMama49 New Egg

Jun 12, 2010
    is Sevins Dust a pesticide or specifically for chickens?...[​IMG]

6. sanfordmom

sanfordmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2011
    Sevin Dust is sold in the garden dept. of your hardware or feed store. You can dust crops, flowers, as well as chickens. We have a problem with lice in our area and this had proved to be very effective. You can dust the chickens, sprinkle some in the areas of their dust baths, sprinkle some in the coop and the nest boxes. It will not hurt the chickens or the eggs.

7. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I have just dusted my chickens with DE. Also completely cleaned out the coop and dusted in there and added fresh bedding. Dusted the runs, put DE in the dust bath and around the outside of the coop and run. So far so good, but I believe the life cycle for the mites/lice is 3 weeks so I have to redust, every week for 3 weeks, I believe.

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Besides mites, could she be molting? Almost every single one of our Buff Orps are blowing feathers everywhere since they are in molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by